Super Contributor

Indoor TV antenna for spare room...

I'm thinking of buying an indoor/outdoor antenna for my spare room TV (where I do my sewing). I have a cable wire running into that room, but I can't bear springing for another cable box. What can I expect from an antenna running to my TV?

Honored Contributor

Re: Indoor TV antenna for spare room...

As is often the case, the answer is "it depends." If you live halfway close to the transmitters you're likely to get lots of channels and a better picture than you get on cable. The farther away you live the more challenging reception gets, and with digital signals it's all or nothing. You'll either get a perfect picture or no picture at all. There's a website called tvfool that will give you a good idea of what channels you can get with various antennas.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

You can type in your street address and zip code at these 2 sites and see what come up but that doesn't mean you'll get the channels. Also if you tv is not hd then you'll need the converter box. when you use an indoor antenna moving it even slightly can cause a big difference in the channels you receive and how good the reception is. The antenna needs to be tried in a lot of different positions.

Now where I live qvc broadcasts over the air on the ion channel 38-6 (hsn 38-5) but if I position my antenna to get it the fox channel doesn't come in as clear so I don't do it.

You might be pleasantly surprised or you might get nothing. Also I would type in your address with only the zip code and then with the zip code and street address

Honored Contributor

I was going to post the Antenna Web addy lovescats posted. It has good info & links for more info.

Contributor

I have an indoor antenna instead of cable and because I'm on a big hill and facing southeast, I get every over the air channel available in my area clear as a bell. My TV isn't brand new but is HD so its very nice to get real HD signals w/o having to pay. The weather can interfere but that happened. With cable too, otherwise its great. But it is a luck of the draw. And my antenna is nothing fancy, just a step above rabbit ears. Buy an antenna, try it, if you don't get good reception, just bring it back.
Esteemed Contributor

I cut the cord w/cable this past summer and bought a Mohu Leaf antenna. I bought the better antenna (50 mile range) for about $65 at Best Buy. I think a little cheaper on Amazon. Indoor installation on my slider and no tools required. Play with it a little to see what the best position is. I do agree that weather can interfere.

I have a Sony HD tv and the picture quality is excellent. Living in the sticks I only get about 8 channels but that's enough for me. I don't get the Q or the Southern channel. I do get CBS, Fox, a couple of PBS stations and a Christian broadcast channel.

My cable bill was steadily climbing and with 200 channels there was nothing to watch!