Super Contributor

You always know a computer 'expert' when they say memory, but they mean hard disk space. (Insert sarcasm here)

Wat to go Stacy...Dell expert.

New Contributor

What's the difference between an Intel processor and an AMD (not sure if I'm using the correct letters).

Super Contributor
You can research the difference onoine. Type in Google - what's the difference between Intel i5 and AMD. You'll get a ton of information and articles to help explain.
Honored Contributor
On 12/13/2014 radimage said:

You always know a computer 'expert' when they say memory, but they mean hard disk space. (Insert sarcasm here)

Wat to go Stacy...Dell expert.

You would not have been able to handle all the different terminologies for the inputs/outputs on the old VHS/VCR's. If this bothers you I can't imagine what you would have done if you installed and worked on all them old VCR's with "black on black" printing for the input/outputs and with almost every brand calling them by a different name.

Trying to explain this over the phone to help people was next to impossible when the basic solution, for me anyways, was simple. Unfortunately I could not remember what name was used with each brand, thus I ended up making way too many house calls to my friend and relatives to fix a simple problem.

Things are better now, but there still are way too many using black print on a black device to suit me.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor
On 12/13/2014 nannylori said:

What's the difference between an Intel processor and an AMD (not sure if I'm using the correct letters).

Some get really hung up on buying Intel only - my son who works for Apple had me research both when I was trying to decide on a new Windows based laptop and I read nothing negative about AMD's in today technical world. And combining that with quad core (and a touchscreen) it would be an easy decision for me - the HP for sure.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/13/2014 wackers said:
On 12/13/2014 nannylori said:

Some get really hung up on buying Intel only - my son who works for Apple had me research both when I was trying to decide on a new Windows based laptop and I read nothing negative about AMD's in today technical world. And combining that with quad core (and a touchscreen) it would be an easy decision for me - the HP for sure.

Processors are individual like shoes. I buy an Intel, because I want a separate video card. HP makes a line of game computers with an AMD processor, and separate video cards. No other computer maker offers a product like this.
Respected Contributor

I've owned a lot of computers since 1995 and I can't tell the difference between Intel and ADM when it comes to performance. As long as you have a powerful processor, more than the minimum recommended RAM and a fast hard drive (7200 RPM), your computer will perform well.

I bet I've posted about programs in the start up group 500 times or more since joining the message board. It's one reason for a drop in performance. I've seen people's computer with 25 programs in the start up group all running in the background, draining system resources and causing a computer to run slow. I use CCleaner to remove these programs. It's found under tools then start up.