Super Contributor

Hi,

I am only getting a faint print out of a Google Map (also tried Mapquest, same thing) on my HP1056 All-in-one Deskjet printer. Cartridge is fairly new and I have no problem printing anything else. Have Windows 7, 64-bit system. I have tried printing from three different browsers -- Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Does anyone know how I can print a clear, dark picture of a street map?

Super Contributor

Re: Google Map Prints Too Faint

Try printing in black and white only. You need to bring up your printer preferences on the computer the change it. Do you have a cell phone that is a smart phone? If so, why not use a map app instead. Can't remember the last time I printed out a map since I had my cell with me.
Super Contributor

Hi Lynnj, I tried printing in both color and b&w, also in grayscale, which was an option on-line. No difference between any of them. Unfortunately, I still have a flip phone. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

ETA: I need a printout for a specific purpose. It's not just for personal reference or use.

Super Contributor

Well then I think it is probably the print cartridges. Try taking then out, and putting them back in. You might need to clean them and the print head. You can check print function too, through the computer. Here is a link to print support for your printer. Copy and paste this link in your browser ---http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04190374&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...
Honored Contributor

On 12/12/2014 puglet1 said:

Hi,

I am only getting a faint print out of a Google Map (also tried Mapquest, same thing) on my HP1056 All-in-one Deskjet printer. Cartridge is fairly new and I have no problem printing anything else. Have Windows 7, 64-bit system. I have tried printing from three different browsers -- Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Does anyone know how I can print a clear, dark picture of a street map?

First thing to do is to check your "printer preferences" and see where they are set. Sure, you may try black and white or grayscale printing, but what "quality of print" can also be a big factor.

I have our printer set on "grayscale" and also set to use the smallest amount of ink(which with my Canon, is "Fast"). There are many other choices when it comes to type of color and so on, but the speed element is something I change when I want a darker and clearer printout that I may want to scan or make several copies to hand our or send out as an attachment to the hockey players in my league.

For me I change the settings only if I want something printed "in color" and at the best printing resolution.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Good morning,

John, I reset my Printer Preferences to "Best Quality" but there was no difference at all. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Lynn, thanks for the link.

I did find a better printout with Bing Maps, however. Then I just made a photocopy of that printout, which came out a little darker. It's doable, I guess.

Super Contributor

On 12/13/2014 puglet1 said:

Good morning,

John, I reset my Printer Preferences to "Best Quality" but there was no difference at all. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I did find a better printout with Bing Maps, however. Then I just made a photocopy of that printout, which came out a little darker. It's doable, I guess.

Just FYI, best quality uses a lot of ink. Standard quality should provide printouts that are just fine. I know whatever the problem, it's not the quality or the settings, it's the printer cartridges or the way they are installed. Also...if you don't print often, dust builds up and ink dries out. So just because it says you have full ink doesn't mean it will actually work. And, for me, I always make sure to get name brand ink replacement. It's more expensive, but I don't trust the cartridges made my no name companies. My theory - you get what you pay for.
Super Contributor

On 12/13/2014 Lynnj said:
On 12/13/2014 puglet1 said:

Good morning,

Just FYI, best quality uses a lot of ink. Standard quality should provide printouts that are just fine. I know whatever the problem, it's not the quality or the settings, it's the printer cartridges or the way they are installed. Also...if you don't print often, dust builds up and ink dries out. So just because it says you have full ink doesn't mean it will actually work. And, for me, I always make sure to get name brand ink replacement. It's more expensive, but I don't trust the cartridges made my no name companies. My theory - you get what you pay for.

Hi Lynnj, I use only HP cartridges designed for this printer. I make a few copies/week. I only changed the Printer Preferences to Best Quality for this one map. Now it's back to Draft Quality, which just printed out a very good copy of something else off the internet. All that being said, I really don't know what the issue is.

Honored Contributor

puglet1, I did some searching and I think I found a "how-to" that will help you. Take a look at this, from the Blogote tech blog:

Google Maps Printing: Here’s How It’s Done!

link goes to: http://blogote.com/how-to/google/print-google-maps/

~~~~~~

The last suggestion might be the best to try first:

"Combination Of Two Tricks To Print High Resolution Maps

To be able to print high-quality Google maps images, you can use the existing tools you have. Here’s how I do it:

I take the screenshot of the map, but before doing so — and this is important — I zoom into the Google Maps. You’d be surprised to know that many users never zoom in before printing the map.

It’s important, and if you don’t do that the Google Maps will look small and barely visible on printing paper.

So that’s about it. You have now successfully printed Google maps on paper.

Important tips:

--Adjust the zoom level for better quality
--In your printer setting, choose 300 DPI or higher
--Select landscape option while printing"

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Hi dooBdoo,

I appreciate your looking into this for me. Unfortunately, I had already tried the "Easiest Way" to print Google Maps in the link you provided, which was unsuccessful. I just tried the "Best Way" to print. I understand all the instructions given in the link, but somehow the screenshot was unsuccessful. Nothing pasted into my Paint Clipboard. Smiley Sad

The Bing Map is passable for now. I also posed the printing question in the HP Forum. Hopefully, I'll get a response that works!