Valued Contributor

Wireless home temperature monitor with alerts?

I go away in the winter on occasion for a week or two at a time. It is always a worry about freezing pipes in case of the furnace going out. Does anyone use one of these wireless monitors that will text or email you if the temperature drops below a set number?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wireless home temperature monitor with alerts?

Why not drain your pipes and shut off the water? That's what I do when I go away in the winter.

Valued Contributor

We have a hot water heating system that would cost too much to have the plumbers drain each time we go away. My husband doesn't trust that he would do a complete enough job, himself.

Respected Contributor

That's too bad. Sorry I don't know of a device to warn if the power goes out and the house gets cold. If you find one, post back.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you just turn off the water main valve (inside the house) and open up the faucets, gib613? And turn off the breaker for the hot water heater?

I guess even if the power goes off and there is no one home, well, there is no one home.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

On 12/9/2014 glb613 said:

That's too bad. Sorry I don't know of a device to warn if the power goes out and the house gets cold. If you find one, post back.

They exist, but I was hoping that someone here had experience with one that they liked. We are considering ditching the land line because all we get are robo-calls all day long, so a wireless alert system would be a great comfort!

Honored Contributor

The wireless monitors are a great idea but would they work if the power went out?

Super Contributor

great idea..

Honored Contributor

We have one in our summer home at the Cape. The heating company monitors it wirelessly and contacts us if there is an issue.

Valued Contributor

On 12/9/2014 ValuSkr said:

The wireless monitors are a great idea but would they work if the power went out?

Probably not, but we have an automatic-start generator, so it might not be an issue, unless the monitor must be manually re-started. No set-up is fool-proof.