Honored Contributor
My elderly mother tells me about a call she got today. It's a recorded message saying it's the IRS and she is being sued. It gives you a number you need to call. This sounds fishy to me. Wouldn't the IRS contact you by mail? Who knows where this number will lead. Also my mother pays her taxes yearly and on time. So this has got to be a scam, right?
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's a scam.

Many people have gotten those calls. The IRS doesn't call you.

Valued Contributor

Yes Yes Yes! It is a scam!! I have gotten the same calls.

Honored Contributor

YES YES YES!!! This is going around and has been for months. Tell your mom to ignore any calls like this and if she gets another one, HANG UP!!

Seems they are targeting older people for some reason. Tell mom not to worry!

Esteemed Contributor

IRS will NEVER call or email anybody. Another scam is a call from an older sounding man who says - ""Seniors - you qualify blah blah for a medical emergency alert system"" hang up immediately cuz they only want your personal info - ss number or bank/credit card data.

No this call is not from Life Line or other legit alert systems.

Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

Scam!

Whether it's the IRS, the Soci Sec. Admin., the SEC with a brokerage issue, and on and on. Any phone call is a scam.

Hoping mom told OP before calling the number!

Super Contributor

Definitely a scam. Please tell her not to worry and ignore it, and hang up if they call again !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Yes. I also recently got a recorded call saying that my Visa card had been compromised and that I needed to enter my 16-digit card number to get help. Nope, not how that works. It never mentioned the name of my bank and no bank calls to ask you for your card number.

I entered 16 1s in a row and waited to see what would happen. The voice said I entered an invalid number, so I entered the same number again. Repeated that twice and it just said "good bye" and hung up when I never entered a valid number - it never transferred me to a real person.

Trusted Contributor

I've never seen so many phone scams and come-ons aimed at seniors. Since DH and i started collecting Social Security, we've been inundated with sales calls, some of them highly questionable. It's scary to think how many vulnerable elderly people could have their finances endangered if they fall prey to these vultures. Your Mom (and all of us) need to be careful and alert for scams.