Respected Contributor

looking for a new TV. what are the must have requirements?

I just know the bare basics about electronics, so what to look for in a TV purchase is a little daunting. I know about 1080p and LED but past that, I'm kinda at a loss. we are not game players so what ever feature is required for that is not something I care about. I'm not sure what a smart TV is, except that it may have something to do with using your computer connected to the TV (?). if that's right, I don't think that particularly matters either. basically, what I want is a great picture and sound for watching TV and DVDs.

what do you consider the must have basic requirements? what brands do you like? what brands should I avoid?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: looking for a new TV. what are the must have requirements?

This is nice recent thread you can read http://community.qvc.com/forums/electronics-talk/topic/481620/tv-size-for-11x12-foot-bedroom.aspx. Then do a Google search using the words ""smart TV"".

Amazon has some good prices on their TV's. Use their prices when checking online or you local paper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001072461

Frequent Contributor

Sounds like smart is something you can pass by. The biggest thing to remember about budget TVs is they almost always require some tweaks. The budget Haier tend to com a little washed out and need adjusting but come out great. Seiki are great but really basic. TCL are a really good brand but double check the specs for audio output if you use an audio system. Right now I think the best overall is a brand called Changhong. They have a pretty killer budget line and are an established brand overseas. The things to look for are at least 3 hdmi ports and if you watch a lot of sports 120Hz refresh. Many budget TVs use emulation to get 120Hz which is fine, so long as it works well. TCL & Changhong do this well.
Respected Contributor

If price is not particularly an object, I'd make sure it was

Smart TV

WiFi

HDMI-ARC.

The last is a special kind of HDMI connection that ports audio from soundbars or home theater devices directly via a cable into a special HDMI port rather than using an optical cable or one of those three-plug yellow-red-white cables.

It makes hooking up external speakers much easier. It's not a MUST, but if you are shopping around, it's good.

I'd consider a built-in DVD, too, though models are more limited with built in DVD.

Sizes smaller than 40" are really only good for small rooms and kitchens.

Honored Contributor

I agree - smaller than 40"" and you will hardly be able to discern what's on TV.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember when a 27" TV was a large set. Today, if the set is not 55 or 60, there is a problem. It depends on the size of the room. There is nothing wrong when a person buys a 32 or40 inch set. I have one in my home office and it is perfect in a medium sized room. To be honest, I enjoy watching TV on a tablet.
Respected Contributor

On 11/29/2014 nutmeg3 said: Remember when a 27" TV was a large set. Today, if the set is not 55 or 60, there is a problem. It depends on the size of the room. There is nothing wrong when a person buys a 32 or40 inch set. I have one in my home office and it is perfect in a medium sized room. To be honest, I enjoy watching TV on a tablet.

Oh, I do agree with you, Nutmeg. I have nothing larger than a 40". But it depends on your tastes. My husband liked LARGE and bought a projector to make it 60 or 72" but I don't need such and I'm going to sell it off, now that he's not with us anymore. But he really enjoyed it immensely (it was a present for "me" haha, but I did love seeing him enjoy using it)

I bought a 40 and I'm pleased with it. If you have a cavernous great room, I could see that a 60" would be desirable.

Honored Contributor

You asked about brands. I really love my Samsung. It's several years old, so I can't really help you with the specs. It's been a great TV though. Mine is 40" and I think it's plenty big.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

On 11/29/2014 ValuSkr said:

I agree - smaller than 40"" and you will hardly be able to discern what's on TV.

I disagree. It really depends on the size of the room. I have a 32"" in my bedroom and it's plenty big. I have no trouble discerning what's on TV.

Respected Contributor

Amazon has lg and samsung 32 inch for cyber monday deals availible right now which I think are good sizes for bedrooms and living rooms too.

I think it would help people give recommendations if you knew what size range you wanted.

'LG Electronics 32LB520B 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV' by LG 178.00 amazon

Samsung UN32EH4003 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV 189.00

I bought the lg because I have a 40 inch lg I bought in 2012 from amazon.