Respected Contributor

TV size for 11x12 foot bedroom

Hi all. Weve been scanning the circulars for TV specials this weekend. We need to upgrade our TV in one of the bedrooms. My Aunt is saying to get a 40" set but I think that is too big. Of course For years I managed with a small 13" set. I really don't know what to do. The only requirement we have is 1080 resolution since this will be attached to an HD cable system. Thanks for any opinions for those who are tech savvy !!
Super Contributor

Re: TV size for 11x12 foot bedroom

We have a 32 inch which I think is perfect. Tech savvy.....heck no! But I love my TV
Esteemed Contributor

I think 40 is the right size as well. You might want to get one with HDMI outlets should you decide to add Roku or Apple tv. I have a 50 inch tv in our master bedroom but the room is quite large. I love it and am quite shameless about it! Enjoy your purchase! LM

Honored Contributor

I'm buying a 32" Samsung Smart TV. I'm trying to decide between model #un32h5203 and #un32h5500. The first one sells for about $250 and the latter one for $300 at Best Buy or Amazon. I'm not sure what the difference is in the two sets but I'm trying to do some research before I buy. These prices for the sets are the best I have seen, I have been looking at them both for awhile! I have a 22" Samsung TV (not a smart one) that I love.

Honored Contributor

I have one that is 22 or 23"" in a small bedroom. I wouldn't want one any larger as it would take up too much room. I think mine is the perfect size for a small room. I got a Haier from QVC because it came in white. It has a beautiful picture but the audio is horrible.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think 40" is too large for that size of a room. I agree that 32" would be about right. There's a formula to figure out what size you need. It's a certain number of feet from where you will be viewing the TV from. I don't know what it is, but you could probably Google it and find out. I'll bet 32" is the correct size though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Not sure how big my bedroom is, but I have a 51" and am looking for a 55-60" for the room. For me........the bigger the better! LOL

Regular Contributor

I don't really know what size the bedroom is but I have a 37 inch and it's perfect. It's just a ""normal"" size room.

Honored Contributor

My bedroom is like medium sized, maybe a couple of square feet larger than yours, OP, and I have a 720p 32" at the foot of my bed, about 8-9 feet from my head. It's fine for me. But it's a few years old, and the Smart TVs and those with the bells & whistles are very hard to find if not impossible in the 32" size. They start with 39-40". I could have a 39" set, especially if I wall-mounted it, but otherwise you'd have to use a dresser-top or a fair-sized stand to hold it, and maybe take up more room than you'd want to.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I'm in the same situation this weekend. Replacing an older TV in my bedroom and trying to figure out where it will go and what size I want. I believe I read somewhere that the ideal viewing area for the size TV you are getting is that the size of your TV should be 3-4 times the distance from where you will be sitting. In other words, if you are looking at a 32" TV, you should be viewing that TV from at least a distance of 96-128". Of course, that's the "ideal". There definitely are a lot of great sales this holiday weekend on TVs!