Valued Contributor

I have always owned Dell PC's or laptops and have always been pleased with my purchase. Well, that thought has changed. Maybe it's a QVC/Dell thing. I've had the recent TSV laptop a little over a week. Come home after work, hit the power button. The screen is greyish-black. Nothing. Can't get the flippin thing to do anything. Power down. Power up. Nothing. Call the so called life time support (that is a crock) and told to call Dell. Never a good thing after 5pm having to call customer service. Told by some foreigner to take the battery out. Nothing. I get beyond annoyed with I speak no English and say never mind, I'm done, I'm returning this $*#)$&)#*&)@!!! Let the laptop rest and me cool down. Turn it on and it is back working. Hubby thinks I'm over-reacting if I decide to return since it's now working. I don't think anyone should have any kind of issues with a new laptop. Period. The other thought bogging me down is I've never said, wow, I love this thing.
Question for the PC guru's. What do I need to do to the laptop to return? I have passwords etc set up on the laptop.
Many thanks for listening and thanks for any input on the return!

Super Contributor
Many, many posts over time from frustred people who bought dell and hp computers from the Q. Anyway....you have until,after the holiday to return it, because of extended holiday return policy. If you want to return it I suggest restoring it to factory settings. Do a google search - how to restore dell to factory settings - I am sure you'll find step by step instructions.
Super Contributor
Oh,and there should be a way to erase the hard drive. They say restoring the factory settings does that...but you never know. Maybe Google - erase hard drive a restore to factory settings.
Valued Contributor

Live and learn. The hard way! Smack upside the head! I will never buy a laptop from a shopping channel again. I knew I should have waited and did my laptop shopping locally. Thanks for the support Lynnj! Off to google!!

Respected Contributor

Almost all new computers have a recovery partition you can use to restore back to factory condition. with my HP computers, I pressed F11 continuously during bootup or went to recovery through all programs. Check your Dell apps for one called recovery.

To wipe a drive, you need software. I like WipeDrive and have used it many times. It overwrites the hard drive with 1s and 0s once or up to 7 times making the data unreadable.

Esteemed Contributor

You can erase a hard drive, but for a safe clean you have to use an erasing software. As for QVC and Dell, I must say they have been wonderful for me. I actually had a glitch when my computer was brand new and Dell sent a complete new hard drive to my home and arranged a technician in-home installation (at no cost to me). I also have used the QVC add-on PC Premier support and they have been most helpful in assisting me with any computer questions I have -- even if it's with regard to a program and/or software I've added on myself which has nothing to do with the original package from QVC/Dell.

Esteemed Contributor

Restore the computer's software to original condition. This is used with a Dell.

Turn on the computer.
  1. As the computer starts, press < F8 > on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Optionsmenu appears on the screen.
    You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
  2. Press the < Down Arrow > on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press < Enter >.
  3. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
  4. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
  5. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  6. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
  7. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
  8. Click Next.
    The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
  9. When the restore operation is completed, click Finishto restart the computer.
    The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.
Valued Contributor

Ended up being very easy (but long process) to restore the laptop to factory settings. Settings on the laptop and wait for a very long time, but the laptop is reset and ready for return. Went to Office Max tonight and bought a new laptop. Extremely happy with this new purchase!!!!!! Never again will I lose my mind and order a PC from a shopping channel. Thanks for your help!!!