Honored Contributor

Not Receiving Thunderbird E-mails On My Mac

I just bought a new MacBook Air. I'm using Thunderbird E-mail. I also use it on my PC. I get many more e-mails each day on my PC than come thru on my Mac. I've checked my settings and don't think I've set it up incorrectly. Actually, the salesman at the Apple store set it up for me. Is this a Thunderbird problem or a Mac problem? They aren't going into my Junk folder. What can I do to correct this problem? Thanks for any help you can give me. I've checked my Mac Mail program and don't get all of my e-mails thru there either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Not Receiving Thunderbird E-mails On My Mac

Doesn't anyone have an idea about this? Do you know of another e-mail server I could try where I could keep my same e-mail address? That's what I like about Thunderbird. It's simple to use, and you can have folders and direct the e-mails to go straight to the folders. Is there anything similar like that? I really need a working e-mail account. It's frustrating to have to check my PC just to read the missing e-mails from the Mac.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I've been having the same sort of problem for years since I got my iMac. My main email is Yahoo but my backup emails go to Gmail. I do get some of my Gmail but if I log directly onto Gmail, I'll inevitably have more out there than come thru to my iMac. NO idea why. But I'll be watching to see what the Mac pros have to say about it.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!

Honored Contributor

That's interesting that you're having the same problem. It's obvious a Mac issue then. I'm going to discuss this with them at my next One To One session in December.

-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Have you tried to send mail to yourself from thunderbird from same and also your other accounts.

I know my ISP catch's almost all junk mail and a copy of regular mail but of late been getting quite a few junkers.....was wondering the samething. But if your mail IS going through I would assume anyone can mail to you... if I understand you correctly.

I've been very happy with Thunderbird until the last few months where all the spam was getting in when it shouldn't...

Super Contributor

Are you using the Mac mail app? You could try deleting the account in mail settings,,open mail app and then click on mail in menu bar at top, then click preferences, then click accounts. Sometimes when I've seen people say they are having provlems with mail deleting the account and setting it up again solves it. As far as thunderbird (I've never heard of that) and the features you mentioned like sendimg mail,to,folders, that can all be set up in Mac mail app. Its done on the rules tab, and basically create a rule that tells a message to go to a folder. You set up rules in mail preferences (see how to get there above).
Super Contributor

On 11/26/2014 dionline said:

I've been having the same sort of problem for years since I got my iMac. My main email is Yahoo but my backup emails go to Gmail. I do get some of my Gmail but if I log directly onto Gmail, I'll inevitably have more out there than come thru to my iMac. NO idea why. But I'll be watching to see what the Mac pros have to say about it.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!

Mac and Gmail haven't gotten along in a long time. Gmail developers don't keep up with the codes required when Apple makes updates. There are always ton of complaints in forums froms using Gmail. As I suggested above. Try deleting the account in the mail app and then re-add it.
Super Contributor

I very rarely go to my email by way of going to the online site I just use the Mac mail app. I've not had a problem of not getting mail, at least not from people I kmow (knock on wood). If mail hasn't come through it must have been some sort of ad or spam type of thing. They can keep those, where they are going lol, I don't need to see any more of that.
Super Contributor

On 11/26/2014 NickNack said:

Doesn't anyone have an idea about this? Do you know of another e-mail server I could try where I could keep my same e-mail address? That's what I like about Thunderbird. It's simple to use, and you can have folders and direct the e-mails to go straight to the folders. Is there anything similar like that? I really need a working e-mail account. It's frustrating to have to check my PC just to read the missing e-mails from the Mac.

Can't you logon to thunderbird.com, or something like that, to check your email? I am positive that there is way to logon to the server online. No need to go to PC mail app to get mail. Use Safari on the Mac, put in the web address, and login to that site right from your Mac. I am sure you can access mail,there. I use Comcast, and have a Comcast email account. It all goes to my Mac mail,app. But if I wanted, I could go to Comcast.net, login with my user name and password, and go,to the location where mail is.
Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 NickNack said:

Thunderbird is so old and no longer supported, I'm surprised it works with a Mac. I have a Gmail account, Apple computers and get my mail through my browser. Go to gmail.com, type n your user name and password and get your mail. There is no reason to use the mail app.