Respected Contributor

Apple problems, some resolved.

I finally was able to view videos on my iPad through Apple TV. I have to swipe up from the bottom, select airplay, change it from iPad to Apple TV, close it, go to the app, select what I want to watch and as long as my TV is setup for Apple TV, I can watch the videos. What a pain and why? I still haven't heard from Apple about the lost audiobook and probably never will.

My iPad is still very slow compared to before IOS 8.1. I have the iPad 3 and I hear that version/model is having problems compared to the 2 newest models. My sister uses hers a lot more and so irritated with the problems, she bought the latest iPad Air. I know I won't have anything set for automatic updates and may not do any updates for a while. Thanks for the links, suggestions and information.

Super Contributor

Re: Apple problems, some resolved.

deleted because of lousy formatting.....

Honored Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Cha1k said:

Gail,

Sending the stream from an iPad through the AppleTV to your television has always been controlled through the Control Center. Some apps have the icon 'baked' in so you can just click on it within the app, but if you want the iPad to show on your TV, even when you don't have an app open you activate Airplay in the Control Center. That's how I demonstrate how to use the iPad in my classes by streaming to a projector instead of a television.

For instance, if I want to demo how Safari works, it doesn't have an Airplay icon built in, so I activate Airplay in the Control Center.

I'm not sure if you have the iPad User Guide for iOS 8, but you can download it in iBooks (free) or you can get the PDF here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1595/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

I download it on my computer desktop when I'm preparing class outlines/instructions. I find it's easier to read the manual on the computer while typing instruction handouts. I can then have my iPad next to me to practice what I've just read.

I teach using an iPad 3 and haven't had any slow down problems, but I don't download major updates over the air --- always connect to iTunes on my Mac for updates.

I also change these settings:

- General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion

- General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce Transparency

- I don't let available storage fall below 2GB. Settings > General > Capacity. I delete photos, apps, music, etc. to keep some storage free because I find my older iPad with only 16GB storage runs better.

- Reset all settings....General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This won't delete any files but you will need to reconnect any BlueTooth devices and enter your wifi password again.

Lastly, I perform a hard restart by holding down the Home button and the On/Off button at the same time until the Apple appears on the screen.

I realize that you may already know these things, but others may not.

I am quoting this post just to alter the font formatting. I don't know what happened, but I couldn't read it at all in the original post.

Super Contributor

Gee whiz.....sorry about the double post. My fault entirely -- trying to get formatting fixed and ended up posted twice.

Decided to compose in a text edit app before posting since the Q boards are notorious for losing long posts before you can hit the 'submit' button. Copy and paste just didn't work out.

Super Contributor

Thanks ChynnaBlue.....will repost again. ::::sigh::::

Super Contributor

Trying this again.....

Gail,

Sending the stream from an iPad through the Apple TV to your television has always been controlled through the Control Center.

Some apps have the icon 'baked' in so you can just tap on it within the app, but if you want the iPad to show on your TV, even when you don't have an app open, you activate AirPlay in the Control Center. That's how I demonstrate how to use the iPad in my classes by streaming to a projector instead of a television.

For instance, if I want to demo how Safari Works, it doesn't have an AirPlay icon built in, so I activate AirPlay in the Control Center.

I'm not sure if you have the iPad User Guide for iOS 8, but you can download it in iBooks (free) or you can get the PDF here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1595/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

I download the PDF to my computer desktop when I'm preparing class outlines/instructions. I find it's easier to read the manual on the computer while typing instruction. I can then have my iPad next to me to practice what I've just read.

Super Contributor

Continuing with my response to Gail......

I teach using an iPad 3 and an iPad mini. My iPad 3 is a bit slower because of its age, but not noticeably so since the upgrade to iOS 8.

There's a few things I do before performing a major upgrade to any electronic/computer devices. Here's what i've learned about upgrading iPads/iPhones.

1. Backup to iTunes on your computer before you attempt ANY upgrade.

2. Download major upgrades (ex...moving from iOS 7 to 8) while connected to a computer instead of downloading over the air (wifi).

3. Change these settings after the update, especially if your device is slower:

- General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion

- General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce Transparency

- I don't let available storage fall below 2 GB. Check storage here: Settings > General > Capacity. I delete photos, apps, music, etc to keep storage free because I find my older iPad with only 16 GB storage runs better.

- Reset all settings: General > Reset> Reset All Settings. This won't delete any files but you will need to reconnect any BlueTooth devices and enter your wifi password again.

Lastly, I perform a hard restart by holding down the Home button and the On/Off button at the same time until the Apple appears on the screen.

Regular Contributor

@ glb......ps...if you don't want to update be sure to turn the wireless off under setttings first when you plug it in to charge it. I have to remember to do that too or when you are on wall power it will automatically download updates. And they will take up room on your device!

Honored Contributor

I use an iPad 3rd generation and with the most recent iOS update it's working fine, not slow and the problem with Safari occasionally freezing was fixed, so I don't think the problems are with that specific device. Also, I've never seen an update on Apple devices automatically download. Unless I'm missing something (please correct me if I'm wrong) there's always something to read and tap/click, usually an agreement to be accepted prior to download. (To download without as much space taken up, just plug the device directly into the computer and update via iTunes.)

Glad to see all is going fairly well. I don't use Apple TV (yet) but the advice on the 2 threads has been great!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I have a Generation 4 (the first iPad with Retina display) and have been extremely happy with it. This week I finally upgraded to iOS 8, which happened to be iOS 8.1.1. Safari has been very slow ever since. I don't know enough about Apple products to figure out what went wrong. I have a new iPhone 6+ that wants to update to 8.1.1 but since I already hate the software on this phone I haven't even tried to update to it. It's currently running 8.1. The browser speed seems normal on it right now.

Does anyone know WHY 8.1.1 is affecting browser speeds? Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm pretty new to Apple products. BTW, I will probably get my husband an iPad for Christmas since I still think they are the best tablets but it will probably be the only Apple product I buy going forward. Not happy with the so-called "easy to use" aspect. I think it's what you get used to and I think my Android phones were easier to use.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

KJPA