Contributor

I am planning to purchase a new HP laptop for my mom. I know she will not be comfortable using the touchpad. Can you always hook a mouse up to a laptop? I know I have a very old laptop that I can do that with but I want to make sure I can with a new one before I purchase it. I read various HP laptop descriptions and nothing specifically says one way or another.

Thanks a lot and Happy Thanksgiving.

Esteemed Contributor

You can connect a corded or cordless mouse. You just need a USB port.

There is another type of cordless mouse a Bluetooth product. The laptop needs to come with Bluetooth.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mice/wireless-mice/abcat0513001.c?id=abcat0513001

Honored Contributor

Yup, I think all mouses are USB now. I use mouses with all my laptops and would not be without them. I just never liked the scrolly pads on laptops, but I love using laptops.

For me, it's the Logitech Marble Mouse. No icky mouse pads, no having to move the whole mouse around the desk, good hand-fit so you don't end up with wrist problems. I've been using them for almost 15 years now and would never go back to those other kinds of mouses.

Honored Contributor

I'd say the answer is yes, you can use a mouse with the laptop.

I, too, thought that after years of using a mouse, I'd never get used to the scroll pad, but I didn't buy a mouse the day I bought my laptop. By the time, I got around to shopping for one, I realized I didn't need one. So, at 70+, this old dog learned a new trick and now when I I have to use a mouse, say at the library, that's what feels alien to me.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I used a cordless mouse with my laptop all the time because I hated the touchpad. Inexpensive and extremely easy to install.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I use a wireless mouse. I recommend the Logitech M325, It takes one AA battery and you should usually get a year or so out of that battery. The USB plug that connects the mouse to the computer is very small, so you can leave it plugged in always and it won't bump into things or get in the way. My friend had a more expensive mouse with a larger USB hub and she broke several of them walking from one conference room to another. The M325 comes in several colors and patterns, too. I don't need to use a mouse pad under it on most surfaces (you may on very shiny/reflective surfaces). You can get them at Amazon.

I just replaced my last Logitech mouse, which I used 5 days a week or more for 6 years, usually leaving the power on over weekends. I was sad to give it up, but I love my new M325. By the end, my last mouse needed the batteries replaced more often, but they would still go at least 6 months or more, even if I left it on all weekend. That one used two batteries, so it's nice the M325 uses only one.

Contributor

A big thanks to every one of you for the great info. I really appreciate it. I love these boards. You are all so helpful and generous! Now, I'm off to order Mom's new laptop and mouse.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/26/2014 tama said:

A big thanks to every one of you for the great info. I really appreciate it. I love these boards. You are all so helpful and generous! Now, I'm off to order Mom's new laptop and mouse.

I hope with Black Friday, You are not buying from QVC. There are sales everywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a big fan of the Logitech wireless mouse with the ball but I use a different version than chickenbutt. I should probably rotate between her model and mine to give different fingers/thumb a break Smiley Wink I'm on the computer ALL day for work and play!

I have shoulder problems and this thing saved me. With a regular mouse I keep my arm lifted so I can move the mouse to move the cursor. With this one I can leave my arm resting and just move the ball with my thumb.

This is the Logitech M570:

KJPA