Valued Contributor

Portable Cell Phone Charger Questions

I am looking for a portable charger that will work for IPhone 4 as well as IPad and perhaps IPod. This is a gift for someone who travels quite a bit and I'd like something that could be recharged but I'm not really sure if that's possible. I've seen QVC offering the Halo a lot but still not really sure if this is the best or is there one out there that I should be looking into instead. I'd appreciate any advice you have as I'm really not that savvy about these devices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Portable Cell Phone Charger Questions

There is no "major brand" or "best" charger. FWIW, QVC sent my Halo order via USPS, who lost it, and they were then sold out of what I ordered.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Mophie is a great brand.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I like Anker sold at Amazon. http://www.ianker.com/

Super Contributor

There's no major brand and they all work with any phone/tablet - you will get charger cords to fit most phone including the iPhone 4. They are all rechargeable.

You need to know what mAh (milliamps) the charger has. If you are wanting to charge an iPad or multiple devices, you need a larger charger - 6,000 mAh and up. You also should make sure it has quick charge technology and isn't trickle charge. That means it will charge the devices faster. We have the smaller Halos that work fine for our phones, but last for only one charge on the phone before we have to recharge them. We also have a charger we bought at Radio Shack that's 7800 mAh that will keep a GPS running for over 8 hrs or can be used for over a week for a phone before it needs charging.

Frequent Contributor

okiebug (Reply No. 4) is right about mAh. If you can afford 2 chargers, you might want to get one smaller, lower mAh charger which would be easier to carry in a purse or pocket, and one larger, heavier, more powerful one, which would be better for charging tablets or providing multiple charges to a phone.

Honored Contributor

I agree with all of the above. Anker makes very good chargers and they're very affordable on Amazon. (You get way more bang for your buck compared to Halo chargers.) Having a small emergency one and a larger, more powerful charger is a great option. Chargers with 10,000 mAh charge my iPhone 3 times before I need to recharge the charger. They also seem to hold a charge for a long time. I can keep one in my bad for 3 months and it will still easily charge my phone. I LOVE having my chargers for outdoor festivals, travel, etc. If you get a charger that charges a tablet (not all do) then as long as you have the appropriate USB cable, you can charge any device that charges with a USB cable by just attaching the cable that came with the device. You don't need to look for a charger that has the appropriate cable or adapter included, though it's nice to have.