Super Contributor

Tracfone: buy minutes or a new phone?

My minutes on my tracfone that I bought last year run out soon. Have any of you bought a new phone instead of buying minutes? I can get a new phone for what I would pay for 365 days on my old phone. What to do??????? I haven't used even half of the minutes that I have, but the days are running out.

Super Contributor

Re: Tracfone: buy minutes or a new phone?

Yes. Twice I have ordered a new phone instead of buying minutes. But remember you do have to add minutes 1 time before the time runs out. I added only $10 worth.
Valued Contributor

I guess it depends on how much you use your phone, do you text, do you want an iPhone type phone. For me, I would add the minutes cause I don't text and I don't make a lot of calls.

Super Contributor

I`d buy the minutes, then you just add to your current minutes and wont loose them.

Honored Contributor

Have had TracFone for 9 years. I buy new phones each time as it is much cheaper and if a person wants an upgraded phone? That is the cheapest route.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think it's cheaper to buy a new phone for the minutes, than to just buy minutes. I buy the new phone and switch everything to it.
Trusted Contributor

If you don't buy minutes and your phone can't be used, do you also lose your stored videos and pictures?

Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 OldFoogey said:

I`d buy the minutes, then you just add to your current minutes and wont loose them.

With TracFone your minutes transfer over to your new phone. I had over 4,000 minutes left when I bought my latest phone, which came with Text/Data/Minutes. The one I bought came with 1200 of each of these and my left over minutes were added to all 3 of these features or the newer smart type phone I purchased.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/ A blog with phone info, and promo codes. I would look for a new phone at QVC or HSN.

Respected Contributor

Last year instead of buying just minutes I bought a new phone that came with one year of service and 1200 minutes. Then my minutes and days on my old phone were transferred over to my new phone when I activated it.