Frequent Contributor

Hughes Net & Dish TV service questions

My DH & I have Hughes Net and Dish TV at our house. We live in a rural community, out in the country. We have built a cabin on our property about .3mi. from our house and want to have internet & TV service there. Is there anyway to do this economically? We have Verizon cell phone service, but our phones will not work inside our house. Is there a way to "share" the satellite signal from our house? Any information would be so appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Re: Hughes Net & Dish TV service questions

I believe you need a satellite receiver for each structure. I really don't know if you can run a cable from a single dish to two different buildings.

Esteemed Contributor

You should contact your satellite company. Sharing service maybe a problem with your terms of service.
Super Contributor

There is an interesting forum site called SatelliteGuys.us that I visit often. While there recently, I learned that it is possible to have a secondary satellite dish as a slave to the first one on your property, I believe for exactly what you are talking about. The only problem is, there is a limitation of 200 ft cable distance between dish and receiver for the newer receivers, and other distance limitations that I cannot remember right now for other setups, including the slaved dish. You may want to go that forum and post your question there. They are extremely helpful.
Frequent Contributor

thank all of you for your help; I did go to the SatelliteGuys site and ask that question. So far I have gotten 1 answer, which told me I would have to have a second Dish account in order to watch tv at a second location. So , I need to do some research to find out if there are any other options for tv & internet.

Esteemed Contributor

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/hughes Hughes net forum on DSLReport.com

Trusted Contributor

I believe you will need the second dish. Even if you could run a cable from your primary home, signal degradation would be so great that you would not have reliable service.

Honored Contributor

I know a few people that bring their second receiver box to their cabin from the city 300 miles away, like the one that was in their bedroom. They get a spare dish from somewhere. Whether this is kosher or not I'm not sure. I know one guy who was sharing his service with five people and they found out. Evidently they didn't believe he had five bedrooms.