Honored Contributor

vhs to dvd, advice/product suggestions needed

Hi

I need your advice. I want to transfer my vhs tapes to dvds. I want the dvds to play on a regular dvd player, not a Blu-ray.

I don't want something I can only use on a computer or have to do another step to get it to a watchable dvd.

I guess what I am trying to say is....from the vhs tape to the dvd and watch!!!

What machine/make/model do you suggest for this? Should I stay away from any particular product?

I hope this makes sense. I'll check back to see if you have any questions.

It does not have to be a QVC product.

Thank you so much for any help/guidance/suggestions. Smiley Happy

Donna

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

Re: vhs to dvd, advice/product suggestions needed

Be prepared to pay a lot for the device. You can play regular DVDs on a Blu-ray player.

VHS to DVD

Esteemed Contributor

Will the equipment you plan to buy work with a HDTV? You may want to seek professional help with this project.
Super Contributor

Do you want to convert home videos, or movies and workout tapes? If movies and workout tapes, anything with Macrovision encoding will not be convertible using a unit that has the VHS to DVD all in one machine (not the machines made now anyway). Unfortunately, if you want to do this, you will likely have to go through some extra steps to get playable DVDs, or you may even be completely unable to get this to work at all. I had to order a special device to use from the output of my VHS to the input of the DVD recorder, and this is in an all-in-one machine. Our old unit died after a power surge, and while I could easily dub my VHS tapes on that older unit, I could not on the newer one, thanks to Macrovision. This is a topic that has no clear cut answer that I have found, because of encoding, whether the VHS player is older or newer, what brand the DVD recorder is, what brand the unit is if it an all-in-one player/recorder, whether you know how to set up your connections on the external jacks.....and on and on. I did not look at glb613's link yet, though I will, because I spent half a year researching this topic myself, just to transfer my collection of old VHS workouts to DVD. I never did try the special connector I bought, because I got so irritated with the whole thing. If you end up curious, I will try it out and let you know if it worked. I had to order it from Israel and waited a few weeks for it to arrive. Good luck!
Super Contributor

They sell them on HSN, I've seen them presented often. I see one that has free shipping, and on sale - 376-222. They have others at other prices.

Look at that, then you know what you are looking for, then I would go look at best buy or other places for prices. I find that home shopping channels prices for electronics are always very high, and offer out-dated technology. Better prices for electronics can always be found better elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Lynnj said:

They sell them on HSN, I've seen them presented often. I see one that has free shipping, and on sale - 376-222. They have others at other prices.

Look at that, then you know what you are looking for, then I would go look at best buy or other places for prices. I find that home shopping channels prices for electronics are always very high, and offer out-dated technology. Better prices for electronics can always be found better elsewhere.

No need to worry about outdated technology since this is already obsolete. VHS tapes went by the wayside decades ago. In fact, DVD players will soon be a thing of the past since streaming and downloading is what's use today. How many new computers include a DVD/CD drive?

Esteemed Contributor

I have one. They look just like an old DVD player. Not difficult to use and my CDs have turned out well. I also transfer from an old camcorder with a S video cable.

Honored Contributor

glb, thanks for the link. Smiley Happy

nutmeg, yes, all my tvs are HD. Thanks for the reminder. I had not thought of that. In what general area of Jersey do you live? I am in northwestern Jersey.

think, I am just interested in my own home movies.

Lynn, hubby says the same thing about what he sees on QVC.

Zhills, thank you for the cable name. Some of the tapes will bew from an old camcorder.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and taking the time to post. I appreciate it. Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Thought..I bet there's a company in your town/city that would do this for a fee. Maybe price that out. ALSO...check with Craig's List....this sounds like a ""one & done"" type of product...meaning you transfer all VSH tapes then you don't have a need for it anymore. ""Sell Cheap""!

Regular Contributor

Costco will do this with your tapes for a nominal fee. I've had them transfer 8mm home movies for me to DVD as well, and they do a good job.