Contributor

Need Help Finding A Great-Small Air Cleaner For Apartment

Hello Everyone! I have found this community to be very resourceful! Found a great humidifier through recommendations on the boards! Now - I need help finding a efficient air cleaner for my apartment. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Help Finding A Great-Small Air Cleaner For Apartment

It's not going to be easy to purify the air in an entire apartment, but you can do 400- 500 sq feet (bedroom or living room area.) Honeywell makes a 390 sq foot unit and Whirlpool makes a 500 sq ft. They work well. We have an older version of the Whirlpool (both husband and I needed that for the bad allergies in our area.)

If your furnace is in your apartment, you can use those 3M Micro Allergen filters and they really help. We have to change ours monthly.

Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Campion said:

It's not going to be easy to purify the air in an entire apartment, but you can do 400- 500 sq feet (bedroom or living room area.) Honeywell makes a 390 sq foot unit and Whirlpool makes a 500 sq ft. They work well. We have an older version of the Whirlpool (both husband and I needed that for the bad allergies in our area.)

If your furnace is in your apartment, you can use those 3M Micro Allergen filters and they really help. We have to change ours monthly.

Do be careful with the air filters you buy for your furnace. If you have a high energy efficient furnace, don't use the ultra air filters. They are too thick and will/can cause your furnace to fail. In fact, most new energy efficient furnaces come with warnings not to use them.

Contributor

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I can use separate smaller air cleaners in each room. Shying away from placing anything on my furnace. My home is over 100 years old and the furnace isn't that old - but not a newer furnace. Thanks very much. I will look into the honeywell. I know there are many air cleaners that indicate they work - but always like to get the owner's experience.