Regular Contributor

How do I download a movie from Amazon to my Chromebook?

Just purchased a Toshiba Chromebook 2 yesterday. So far I am LOVING it. There is a bit of a learning curve because of the Chrome OS but it's pretty easy.

I can't seem to figure out how to download a movie or tv show from Amazon to watch while off line (ie on an airplane). For my Kindle I just hit download and it goes right to the device. Not happening with the Chromebook. Anyone know the secret?

I have googled it but still can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: How do I download a movie from Amazon to my Chromebook?

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but isn't everything stored on the cloud when you have a Chromebook?

Are you buying the movie or using Prime? I don't think you can download movies right to a device other than Kindle unless you buy it. You can only download prime movies to the Kindle HDX and not other Kindles.

I'm not sure if I'm right. I hope someone chimes in.

Super Contributor

You might try chromecast, it's an item you plug into your chromebook:

Link

Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 cmoose said:

Just purchased a Toshiba Chromebook 2 yesterday. So far I am LOVING it. There is a bit of a learning curve because of the Chrome OS but it's pretty easy.

I can't seem to figure out how to download a movie or tv show from Amazon to watch while off line (ie on an airplane). For my Kindle I just hit download and it goes right to the device. Not happening with the Chromebook. Anyone know the secret?

I have googled it but still can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

You don't. You'll need a laptop or tablet to do that.

Esteemed Contributor

Is it possible to download Amazon content on devices other than Kindle? I've tried to download purchased Amazon videos onto a PC, laptop, and iPad, but I've had no luck. I can only access them when I'm online and go through the website. Like mima, I was under the impression that we could only download Amazon video content onto Kindle HDX.

Super Contributor

I think you need to download the Amazon app, and I am sure there is a specific one for videos. Then you will watched the video, streaming, through the app. It doesn't directly download to your computer...thus saving space by not taking up room on your hard drive. However, to stream video/audio, you need to be connected to wifi.

Does this Chromebook have some sort of google store, or app store, where you go to download apps? The Amazon apps are all free downloads.

Esteemed Contributor

You need to go to chrome apps store, and look for an Amazon Video app. If not there, check the Chromecast device. The Google play store and the Chrome store are two different things. O/T. Amazon released a video app for the iphone/iPad early 2014. They finally introduced an video app for Android phone in August. I can not get my Android tablets to run the phone app.
Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 nutmeg3 said: You need to go to chrome apps store, and look for an Amazon Video app. If not there, check the Chromecast device. The Google play store and the Chrome store are two different things. O/T. Amazon released a video app for the iphone/iPad early 2014. They finally introduced an video app for Android phone in August. I can not get my Android tablets to run the phone app.

Even with the app, she can't download movies to watch later while offline.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 mima said:
On 11/22/2014 nutmeg3 said: You need to go to chrome apps store, and look for an Amazon Video app. If not there, check the Chromecast device. The Google play store and the Chrome store are two different things. O/T. Amazon released a video app for the iphone/iPad early 2014. They finally introduced an video app for Android phone in August. I can not get my Android tablets to run the phone app.

Even with the app, she can't download movies to watch later while offline.

Here is an answer from Amazon site. It depends which Chromebook you are using. She maybe able to view not download. http://www.amazon.com/does-chromebook-amazon-instant-videos/forum/Fx2X6TNCJ239Z9U/Tx2B7ELY9F3KCXH/1?...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Can+you+watch+Amazon+video+on+a+Chromebook&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02...