Esteemed Contributor

for music which IPad or IPad mini is recommended?

Tomorrow we pick up an Iphone 6 and I also want to get an IPad of some sort for DH.

I want it for DH's Itunes collection he has over 7000 songs.

what do you recommend so he doesn't have to use his laptop or Iphone?

I'm Apple products illiterate. TIA

Super Contributor

Re: for music which IPad or IPad mini is recommended?

Is DH going to be with you tomorrow? My suggestion, since it will be for him, is to have him play with the mini and the regular iPad. Obviously, the mini is smaller than the regular, so I think it boils down to personal preference on ability to view what is on the screen.

Both the mini and the regular do the exact same thing. With 7000 songs, you may want to look at the model that is greater than 16gb. That is how much space is available for downloads and other stuff. I'd think 7000 songs would take up the majority of 16gb, not leaving much for apps, books, movie, or anything else.

Also, though, remember the iPad and iPhone have the cloud for storage. So with that in mind, you could still go with a 16 gb model. You see with the cloud, DH songs will be stored on his computer in iTunes. But that is also available in the cloud. So as long as DH is on wifi with the iPad, he can listen to the same music without actually downloading physically to the iPad....thus saving storage. Technically, its not physically on the device, its physically up in the air, and your just listening to it through wifi streaming.

Same can be said about books, movies, and other things you might download. All can be stored in the cloud, and access via the iPad on wifi. through the cloud

Sorry to ramble on here, but I wanted to point out that if funding is an issue, don't feel that the 16gb won't work for you. The cloud will help you make it work. But if you are confused by the cloud, or just don't feel like dealing with it, then I recommend the next model level, which I think is 32gb. If you get the latest, released this past Oct, iPad air 2 or mini 3, 64gb is the next level not 32gb.

Regular Contributor

When my music mp3 player broke I got an iPod 5th Generation 32gb. An iPod 5 is exactly like the iPads but smaller like an iPhone. I also have an iPad2 and an iPad Mini. I love my iPod! Check out iPods! Don't get the 16gb. Get the 32 or 64.

Will he use it for anything else besides music? The iPod also has a front camera and a back camera.

Esteemed Contributor

thank you for the responses! I really appreciate it.

He has 2 Ipods. His IPhone 6 will be 64g.

I want him not to have to use his laptop at home.

He will be there tomorrow when we get the Iphone.

I just want to steer him in a direction.

Honored Contributor

Whichever you decide on, get the biggest one or I think, with 7,000 songs, he'll have space issues if he doesn't.

I have an iPad Air and love the full size. My sister has a Mini and loves it. It just comes down to personal preference on the size. She likes the Mini because it fits in her purse. I like the full size because I only use it at home. If I'm out, I use my phone.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Mary Bailey said:

Is there a reason why?

Honored Contributor

I have 3500 songs that take up 22 gb

Depends how you want to use your ipad,

I keep most of my songs on my laptop and just move them to a playlist when I want to listen to them. You will pay more for more space,

Personally I would stay away from the cloud, you will have to pay to store those 7K songs any, Maybe just go with a mini ipad or even a big iPod if they still make them

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 glb613 said:

Is there a reason why?

it just looks uncomfortable. He says its fine. I was hoping he could have something in between the laptop & Ipod

Reading about the size issues maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Mary Bailey said:
On 11/22/2014 glb613 said:

Is there a reason why?

it just looks uncomfortable. He says its fine. I was hoping he could have something in between the laptop & Ipod

Reading about the size issues maybe I should leave well enough alone.

If you want to buy an iPad then buy one. A pad is a very nice device. The battery lasts 10 hours. You use it for many things. I like a full size pad.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/22/2014 jackthebear said:

I have 3500 songs that take up 22 gb

Depends how you want to use your ipad,

I keep most of my songs on my laptop and just move them to a playlist when I want to listen to them. You will pay more for more space,

Personally I would stay away from the cloud, you will have to pay to store those 7K songs any, Maybe just go with a mini ipad or even a big iPod if they still make them

I have a 10K music library. It is 90GB. I don't trust Apple either. I have a backup on Carbonite. I stream the library using an old Logitech Squeezebox as the interface with a desktop computer. The computer is a server. I also use Android and Apple apps for my devices in my house.

Apple has discontinued the iPod classics in September when they introduced their watch. You can still buy the Touch, but its only 64GB.