Esteemed Contributor

OS X Yosemite problems? or is it my computer?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro. it's been pretty much problem free until I downloaded the new OS X Yosemite. since then I've noticed that annoying spinning multi-colored ball occurring frequently and occasionally when I go to log in, this is what my screen looks like. I can log in fine ( and the garbled looking screen goes away) , but I'm worried that either my computer has some kind of potentially costly issue, or there may be some kind of glitch since I went with the Yosemite OS.

anyone have a clue?

photo cfb85a38-dfdc-4d02-9972-d4e7a201d6fe.jpg

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

Re: OS X Yosemite problems? or is it my computer?

Are you running the latest update to Yosemite, v. 10.10.1? I have a desktop iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), so far haven’t seen a slowdown, no problems with the login screen. Yosemite did introduce a new low-res login screen and also a screen translucency/transparency (can be turned off in Accessibility Preferences) which might have something to do with your problem.

Did you make customized changes to screen/display preferences in the past? If so, that might be a problem with Yosemite’s screen handling.

2 things you might try first:

Startup in Safe Mode, then shut down and restart normally. (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262)

or

Reset PRAM. (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I just did a few searches and found a couple of similar reports specific to the MacBook Pro 2011 video driver, but all were reported with the original Yosemite installation -- no updates since v. 10.10.1 was released.

links: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1758497

and http://www.nerdalert.tv/osx-yosemite-day-1/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

dooBdoo, I'm running the 10.10 version. is that the original? I just received the update notice from Apple last week so I assumed it was the most recent.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Mochahoney said:

dooBdoo, I'm running the 10.10 version. is that the original? I just received the update notice from Apple last week so I assumed it was the most recent.

Hi, Mochahoney! Yes, you're running the original version. I'd suggest you update it to 10.10.1 which was released on 11/17.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/21/2014 dooBdoo said:

Hi, Mochahoney! Yes, you're running the original version. I'd suggest you update it to 10.10.1 which was released on 11/17.

I don't need to uninstall the 10.10 , do I? just locate the 10.10.1 version in the Apple app store and install it?

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 dooBdoo said:

I don't need to uninstall the 10.10 , do I? just locate the 10.10.1 version in the Apple app store and install it?

No uninstall needed. Yep, just open the App Store and download/install. It should show up immediately if you open the App Store and click on "Updates."Smile

Esteemed Contributor

dooBdoo, I can always count on help from you and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. no snarky you-must-be-stupid remarks from you ( as I've seen from some of the other computer smarties here) and that's so refreshing {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}.

Honored Contributor

dooBdoo, I can always count on help from you and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. no snarky you-must-be-stupid remarks from you ( as I've seen from some of the other computer smarties here) and that's so refreshing {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}.

Aw, thanks, Mochahoney.{#emotions_dlg.blushing} I do my best to avoid snarkiness, just don't see the point when we can offer comments in a respectful manner. I don't count myself among the computer smarties, but I try to help when I can. I've learned so much from posters here, and try to give back if possible. Thanks for the kind words.

I hope your display problem will be fixed with the update.Smile

Valued Contributor

Hope the latest update fixes the issue. But if it doesn't, you should know that it has been widely reported, since the first day of release, that Yosemite is a mess for many. Some Macs are upgrading okay, but others are having loads of problems.

I know an engineer at Apple who works on Yosemite. He told me prior to the release not to touch Yosemite when it came out. Even HE has not upgraded his various Macs and won't until all glitches are worked out. He told me it may be another few months until it's really safe to upgrade.

Also ... I was at my local Apple Store two nights ago buying a cable and I overheard 3 people at the Genius Bar .. all had upgraded to Yosemite and all were there to get the techs to turn their OS back to Mavericks. So ... just wanted you to know that yours is not an isolated case at all.