Esteemed Contributor

Range Extender for Wireless Signal..... Need advice

Costco is selling a range extender for wireless signal. Linksys... 2 pk. Says it can be plugged in or set on desktop. Anyone know anything about this kind of device. I need a bit more signal in the far reaches of my house.

Honored Contributor

Re: Range Extender for Wireless Signal..... Need advice

I'm using an Internet radio as a wireless access point (essentially an extender) and it works great! My old router barely reaches half the house (and it's a small house) but the radio extends that range dramatically even out into my yard. It's kind of funny that I'm sitting about three feet from my router and I get a stronger signal from the extender (about twenty feet away and through a wall) than the router.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I always had trouble using my iPad in our kitchen which is on the other side of the house of where our router is. My husband's iPad worked fine but I could never access the Internet!!! We recently purchased a Linksys extender and it is fabulous!! I can now access the Internet anywhere in the house and it is even boosted our internet connection overall. I only wish we had purchased it sooner. HTH
Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of wireless extenders because, http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-extender/

The wireless router and extender have to be the same brand. A better solution would be more bandwidth from your cable company, and a new wireless router.

Respected Contributor

My sister had one and it actually throttled her signal. In all fairness, it could have been the brand and not all range extenders.

A router should send a signal 300 feet. I can see all of my neighbors wireless networks but the signal is weak. Inside a house, walls and where the router is located will have an effect on the signal strength. Try putting the router in the center of the house on the main floor. If that's not possible, get a range extender and plug it in the center of the house.

Honored Contributor

I was going to post the same question about these.

I was thinking of a new router but I think the design of my house is also a factor, there is weak signal in the bedroom, . I can see the signal drop off as I turn the corner.

going to read the article.

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 glb613 said:

My sister had one and it actually throttled her signal. In all fairness, it could have been the brand and not all range extenders.

A router should send a signal 300 feet. I can see all of my neighbors wireless networks but the signal is weak. Inside a house, walls and where the router is located will have an effect on the signal strength. Try putting the router in the center of the house on the main floor. If that's not possible, get a range extender and plug it in the center of the house.

Thanks, I cant put the router in the center of my house (easily). I think the best approach might be to buy a new router.

I live in a ranch house and the router and bedroom are at opposite ends of the house. I guess the fifties didn't think about that {#emotions_dlg.lol}.

Respected Contributor

On 11/21/2014 jackthebear said:On 11/21/2014 glb613 said

Thanks, I cant put the router in the center of my house (easily). I think the best approach might be to buy a new router.

I live in a ranch house and the router and bedroom are at opposite ends of the house. I guess the fifties didn't think about that {#emotions_dlg.lol}.

You might be better off with a range extender. Plug it into an outlet near the center of the house.

Respected Contributor

Apple makes an ""Airport Express"" that can be used as a base station or an extender. Go to the apple.com website and check the comments on the product.

Super Contributor

We had always used the router from our cable company, but we could not access WIFI upstairs or on the lower level. We tried an extender, and it didn't really increase the range. We ended up buying a more powerful router (Netgear), and holy cow...that thing gives us a strong WIFI signal not just everywhere throughout the house, but as far as 3 houses away!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren