New Contributor

Why am I unable to download?

Every time I try to download something, it says my current settings won't allow it. Where do I find these settings, and how do I change them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Why am I unable to download?

What kind of computer are you using?
Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 whatserface said:

Every time I try to download something, it says my current settings won't allow it. Where do I find these settings, and how do I change them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Need more info. The more info you can offer here the better the chances someone can help you. What browser are you using? Internet Explorer(IE)Firefox or something else? In most any browser if you look way up top you will see "tools". Within that there is usually a tab called "options", and in that is where you might be able to find your settings.

Never like to call out anyone here, but it is not easy to give help if there is not enough pertinent information about the computer and browsers.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

If you're using Windows, are you logged in as a user with administrator rights?

Trusted Contributor

What are you trying to download? Pictures, music, software?

New Contributor

Sorry for the lack of information. I have an HP Laptop, Pavilion dv6-6 1 48nr. I have windows 7 and IE. I can find the options but don't know what to change.

I'm trying to download attachments from within my e-mails, pictures, recipes, etc.

I hope this will help in getting information. As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like a security setting either with your anti-virus program or browser.

Super Contributor

Hmmm, downloading attachments from within emails....are you get some sort of pop up saying you don't have a program, and to select something from a list? So for example, if the attachment is a Microsoft Word document, but you don't habe Micrsoft Word installed you cannot open it. You'll need to install a program to open. Same can be said with some pictures and videos, if you don't habe the type of program they are on to open, you can't open. Can you tell us more specifically about what your trying to open, and then specific message you are getting when you try to open it?
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 whatserface said:

Sorry for the lack of information. I have an HP Laptop, Pavilion dv6-6 1 48nr. I have windows 7 and IE. I can find the options but don't know what to change.

I'm trying to download attachments from within my e-mails, pictures, recipes, etc.

I hope this will help in getting information. As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

Thanks!

As "Lynnj" said, chances are you do not have a program that will open these type of attachment files. What types of files are these attachments on your e-mail? If they are a: .jpg file you will need a program that allows you to open pictures etc. If it is a "word" file you will need a program that opens "word" documents. There are many of free ones online that you might have to download and install.

I've gotten attachments from some people that my computer will not open. With those I delete them. If they are something from a pretty good friend of mine I tell them to send them to me in a different type of format, and most of my friends are computer savvy enough to do that for me. If they can't? I forget about them.

Computer literacy comes with experience and that includes asking others to help you learn. Some times it isn't a simple thing to do via typing and can much easier be solved by either being at someone's computer(which I have done time and again for friends and relatives)or via telephone which is much easier than trying to type, wait for a reply, type wait for a reply. I think you get what I am trying so say here.

Many here like helping others learn and sometimes trying to do so in this manner here? Most of the time someone can help with problems, but there are times that it just cannot be done in this communication manner.

hckynut(john)