Respected Contributor

Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" 32gb special price of $259 for about four more hours.

It is the older version (the 3rd gen.) but I'm not sure if that is a big detriment to getting this one.

What do you think: get this one at a very good price?

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"" 32gb special price of $259 for about four more hours.

If this one has all the features that a person knows they will use, and they think it is a super price? I think they have just answered their own question.

For me? Nope, my wife tried a Kindle and sent it back to Amazon. She took that money and bought a Samsung Tab2 over a year ago and it does everything she wants to do with it. That one cost her $169 delivered, and that was over a year ago before prices went down and features went up on these devices.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"" 32gb special price of $259 for about four more hours.

It really isn't a good idea to buy older technology.

Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 glb613 said:

glb613, I hear what you're saying about buying older tech. But I'm wondering, if we buy the "newest" tech today and it's considered old in one year when something newer and faster comes out, it would never end; we'd never be satisfied. I would plan to hold onto mine for a long time. That's just how I am, not needing/wanting the newest/fastest.

Does that make sense to you?

Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 hckynut said:

If this one has all the features that a person knows they will use, and they think it is a super price? I think they have just answered their own question.

For me? Nope, my wife tried a Kindle and sent it back to Amazon. She took that money and bought a Samsung Tab2 over a year ago and it does everything she wants to do with it. That one cost her $169 delivered, and that was over a year ago before prices went down and features went up on these devices.

Thanks, John, for your feedback. Do you recall why your wife sent her Kindle tablet back to Amazon. Is she going to stick with the Tab2 or get a newer version. I'm not one who needs the newest version of anything. If I like it and it works for me, I'll keep it.

I thought I'd go with a Kindle Fire because I'm hooked in with a Kindle e-reader and also Amazon Prime.

BTW, how is your wife feeling now? I know she's had a rough time recently.

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 bigsister said:

Thanks, John, for your feedback. Do you recall why your wife sent her Kindle tablet back to Amazon. Is she going to stick with the Tab2 or get a newer version. I'm not one who needs the newest version of anything. If I like it and it works for me, I'll keep it.

I thought I'd go with a Kindle Fire because I'm hooked in with a Kindle e-reader and also Amazon Prime.

Hi bigsister,

I have always been on that has wanted to keep up with the new technologies and I am talking going way back into the 1950's. During most of those decades new technologies you measured in years or even a decade. Unlike today where something new can become close to obsolete in a very short amount of time.

There is no such thing as having the latest and greatest when it comes to Audio/Video/Internet or Wi-fi. These are a ever changing world with new things coming out sometimes by the hour. While it is always good to by something that is "future proof", what used to mean years and years, might now be a few years or less now.

My friends didn't have a clue what a quadrophonic sound meant by in the 1970's, but once I let them listen to it? They got it. The same with LaserDisc/CD's/DVD's and what really was something they did not get, High Def TV. Now most see 1080p as the best there is in resolution when it comes to television and or Blu-ray.

Unfortunately, or for people like myself, fortunately it will not be long before 4k becomes standard when it comes to video resolution. I won't go into anymore about this as I just wanted to say this. If you see something at a price you want to pay and it does everything you want it to do? Sure, there will be newer things come down the pike, but just because something is new does not mean what you are currently using is obsolete.

My definition of "obsolete" is that a component can no longer be used, or the majority of it's functions can no longer be accessed successfully. While they might be less sharp(as in 720p compared to 1080p)or slower, if they still work to me they are not obsolete.

The version my wife had of Kindle had no front facing camera and it also did not have a MicroSD expansion slot. I really don't remember more about it because I am not much into mobile devices of any kind and have no desire to keep up with them. I understand how they work but when it comes to spending my time knowing how to operate them? I ain't into it.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Hi bigsister,

I have always been on that has wanted to keep up with the new technologies and I am talking going way back into the 1950's. During most of those decades new technologies you measured in years or even a decade. Unlike today where something new can become close to obsolete in a very short amount of time.

There is no such thing as having the latest and greatest when it comes to Audio/Video/Internet or Wi-fi. These are a ever changing world with new things coming out sometimes by the hour. While it is always good to by something that is "future proof", what used to mean years and years, might now be a few years or less now.

My friends didn't have a clue what a quadrophonic sound meant by in the 1970's, but once I let them listen to it? They got it. The same with LaserDisc/CD's/DVD's and what really was something they did not get, High Def TV. Now most see 1080p as the best there is in resolution when it comes to television and or Blu-ray.

Unfortunately, or for people like myself, fortunately it will not be long before 4k becomes standard when it comes to video resolution. I won't go into anymore about this as I just wanted to say this. If you see something at a price you want to pay and it does everything you want it to do? Sure, there will be newer things come down the pike, but just because something is new does not mean what you are currently using is obsolete.

My definition of "obsolete" is that a component can no longer be used, or the majority of it's functions can no longer be accessed successfully. While they might be less sharp(as in 720p compared to 1080p)or slower, if they still work to me they are not obsolete.

The version my wife had of Kindle had no front facing camera and it also did not have a MicroSD expansion slot. I really don't remember more about it because I am not much into mobile devices of any kind and have no desire to keep up with them. I understand how they work but when it comes to spending my time knowing how to operate them? I ain't into it.

John, I totally agree with you about "obsolete," and if something works well and does what I want it to, I will hold on to it.

Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 glb613 said:

glb613, I hear what you're saying about buying older tech. But I'm wondering, if we buy the "newest" tech today and it's considered old in one year when something newer and faster comes out, it would never end; we'd never be satisfied. I would plan to hold onto mine for a long time. That's just how I am, not needing/wanting the newest/fastest.

Does that make sense to you?

I'm not talking about upgrading every time a new product is released. I'm talking about when you buy a new device. When you buy a new device, get the latest technology. I never buy old technology no matter what it is. I know as soon as I buy something, it will be obsolete within a year or two. It doesn't stop me because nothing is obsolete proof. I keep a device until it no longer meets my needs or fails.

Believe it or not, I still have an older flip phone. Being such a gadgetgal, my friends can't believe I still hang onto it. I don't text and it's becoming a problem. So, I plan to buy an iPhone once the hoopla over the iPhone 6 dies down.