Super Contributor

Some free apps can steal your data

All of us like free apps, but we all need to be aware that free isn't always 'free'. Many developers want your information, identity, location, etc. in exchange for offering you the freebie.

from Kim Komando, published in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/11/14/free-apps-privacy/18759109/

Honored Contributor

Re: Some free apps can steal your data

Thanks this important reminder, Cha1k. I want to post a portion of the article itself for those who don't like clicking on links:

". . .Often, free apps have a privacy cost. When you install an app, you probably never read the app's terms and conditions. You merely click "Agree." In the terms and conditions, the app developer typically reveals what data you are voluntarily handing over to them such as your online activities, location, contact list, text messages, and more.

Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University recently analyzed the Google Play store's top 100 apps operations, terms and conditions. They found the following 10 requested the most access to your smartphone or tablet's hardware: Backgrounds HD Wallpaper, Brightest Flashlight, Dictionary.com, Google Maps, Horoscope, Mouse Trap, Pandora, Shazam, Talking Tom Virtual Pet.

It makes sense that Google Maps needs your location and song-identifying Shazam needs access to your microphone, but why does a virtual pet, dictionary or wallpaper app need anything like that? Both iOS and Android have built-in flashlights, so you don't even need an app.

While the researchers looked at Android apps, almost all of these apps have iOS versions. iOS lets you set permissions on a case-by-case basis. Go to Settings>>Privacy and choose the permission, such as camera or GPS. Slide the slider to "Off" to deny a permission.

Unlike iOS, Android doesn't have per-app permission controls. Google had it as a hidden feature in Android 4.4.2, but removed it. No one knows when or if it will be back.

Before you install any Android app, check the app's page in the Google Play store. Google requires that developers reveal permissions that the app requires.

On an app page, scroll down to the "Additional Information" section and under "Permissions" click "View details." Google users can turn off GPS and location services. Go to Settings>>Personal>>Location Services and uncheck any checked boxes.

As for apps that collect your contact data, make sure the app needs it for a legitimate reason. For example, communication apps Skype or Google Voice require it. . .

. . .If you're wondering about other apps, visit PrivacyGrade. Here, researchers from Carnegie Mellon University examine what permissions an app should need, what it actually requires, and then assign it a grade."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Some free apps can steal your data

I just assume every site I ever visit retains every shred of info they can get from me. I just quit worrying about it. But I don't tell Facebook anything about me. They bug the heck out of me anyway, constantly asking me to be friends with people I don't even know. And they have my address as Madeira Beach Florida. I've never been there and I live in Michigan. Eventually the whole system will physically collapse under the mountain of data that is being saved. Its funny in a way, JTV constantly advertises the rings I have gone and looked at, so does HSN.