Esteemed Contributor

DS's camera failed while on vacation this year so I thought buying him a new one would be a welcome gift. He had a Pentax Optio but it's a few years old and not worth repairing.

His only requirements are that it takes a quality photo, easy to use and it fits in a pocket for travel.

He's not looking for wi-fi capability, special effects, accessories, etc.

Any rec's based on personal experience?

Respected Contributor

Re: Point & Shoot Camera Rec's?

I have a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS. It takes great pictures and can easily fit into a shirt/pants pocket. I have bought several cameras over the years and it's always the one I reach for. If you go to Amazon.com, you can read the reviews. Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

Love my Canon also. I have the ELPH110HS, very compact and care everywhere with me. Don't know if it's still available as I have it for over 2 years now.

Honored Contributor

If he doesn't care about a larger zoom capability and takes most shots outdoors or with flash (i.e. low light capability isn't important), then any major brand should be fine. Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji or Sony. Go to Amazon and read reviews. One thing that is annoying to most people is shutter lag. Stay away from cameras where people complain about it. Also note what people have to say about battery life. I also own a Canon (not an Elph) and am happy with it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

Definitely the Canon...great photos, easy to use.

Honored Contributor

I'm looking at the Fujifilm Finepix S8630 that Walmart is having on Black Friday for $119. I've had good luck with Fuji cameras before and I like the long zoom (36X) on this camera. It's a bit big for a pocket so that could be a negative to you. The fact that it uses AA batteries is a plus for me. I always have AA batteries on hand while it seems like my rechargeable camera batteries are never fully charged when I need them to be. Buying a spare rechargeable battery can be pricey and keeping track of it can be an even bigger challenge. There's no optical viewfinder, but I find myself using the display anyway, so that's not a big deal for me. I don't have personal experience with it as I don't have it, but it's an option to look at if a bigger bridge-type camera (something between a DSLR and point and shoot) is an option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I had Fuji point and shoots for several years and was happy with them until I had zoom issues. My zoom malfunctioned with the camera just over a year old, and I didn't bother to have it repaired, but bought the Canon. The more electronics are in a camera, i.e. The more different things it does, the greater the chance of malfunctions, as with any electronic device.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all