Regular Contributor

Thinking of buying an HP Chromebook 14, would love your thoughts

My beloved HP laptop has died. I want to replace it. I have been looking at the chromebooks and am considering that as a replacement. I use my computer for email, facebook, shopping, watching youtube, Pinterest and general surfing the net. I haven't put a dvd in my laptop for years, don't do much with word, and don't really play games. So it seems that the chromebook may do all that I need at about 1/2 the cost of an HP laptop.

There are some models that come with free 4g as well. That would be nice when traveling for sure.

Anyone have one? Would love to know your thoughts- both on the computer and the 4g.

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of buying an HP Chromebook 14, would love your thoughts

I am typing to you right now on my Chromebook. My uses are pretty much the same as yours. I do occasionally watch a TV show I missed but otherwise I do not play music or stream videos on my computer much.I do e mails , come to this forum and another camping forum occasionally, and facebook with my family. Occasionally surf the web. My chromebook does all of that easily. I do send the photos from my phone here and store them or go to photobucket to send them to FB. I do not need or want to make any other files here or make documents. I do use my banking site to pay my bills from this computer. And I do shop HSN and Shop HQ.I don't play video games - but I do go to AARP game site and do crosswords - which they say is good for preventing altzheimers. I think for the money it is a great little device - serves all my needs - I prefer to have a laptop type keyboard which was one reason I chose this one, You will have a slight learning curve going from windows to a android device - if you have not used an android device before but it is really easy. If you have an android smartphone you are all checked out on apps and stuff.

I know a lot of people will tell you to get an Apple device but not everyone needs all that Apple has to offer and why pay for a lot of stuff you won't use? Just because i pads are trendy does not make them everyones best buy.

Regular Contributor

The best 200.00 I ever spent! Does everything I need,no slow ing down,no antivirus. I rake the smaller one wirh me and am comsidering the larger one for home

Super Contributor

I've been interested in Chromebooks for years and will always monitor what's being written about them. I just don't need another computing device at the moment (thank God). When I do, I'll most likely get one. For now, my iMac and DH's PC are just fine. We have an iPad but barely use it. I, too, like the idea of an actual keyboard which the iPad doesn't have.

Chromebooks just fascinate me!!

Honored Contributor

I wanted to also add - my chromebook is lightweight and easy to carry - making it more portable. I love to sit out on the lanai with my chromebook - it does not have a kindle but it does have Cloud reader which allows me to purchase and read books from amazon - same as a kindle. Be aware that in order for it to be light weight the battery is smaller and so it needs charged more often. When I close it up I always put it on charge so it is ready for the next time I pick it up.

Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 ninjasmom said:

The best 200.00 I ever spent! Does everything I need,no slow ing down,no antivirus. I rake the smaller one wirh me and am comsidering the larger one for home

Mine was the last one of an old model that the store had left because they were getting an upgrade so I got this one for $117 and that included a 3 year warranty. Definitely the best $$ I ever spent.

Respected Contributor

Are Chromebooks safe for paying bills online?

Respected Contributor

My daughter is on a fixed budget and wants to buy a computer for a family gift for Christmas. Her kids are in school. Are Chromebooks sufficient to do homework on? Do they have the right programs for writing papers, etc.?

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/16/2014 mima said:

My daughter is on a fixed budget and wants to buy a computer for a family gift for Christmas. Her kids are in school. Are Chromebooks sufficient to do homework on? Do they have the right programs for writing papers, etc.?

Thanks!

It maybe a good product for young folks in school. You should check Chrome Web Store for apps, reviews on CNet.com, Best Buy,The Verge, and http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-chromebooks . I would want a Chromebook with free cloud storage.

Honored Contributor

I'm all for Chromebooks, but I'd personally opt for another brand. Even if you've had good luck with your current PC, I'm not sure HP is what they once were... and personally, I never thought they were all that...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...