Honored Contributor
We got an email that was intended for my sons gf from a car dealership in another state and she never gave our email address.She didn't get the email and it was about a recent warranty service on her car.Have we been hacked and what should we watch for
Respected Contributor

I've received those for many years. They look legit, but mine are/were not. I've gotten in the mail and just discard.

Honored Contributor
The email was addressed to her though not us and she doesn't even know my email but she did take her car in for the service the email was referring to.
Contributor

Dex, this same thing happened to me in February of 2014 through my Honda dealership.

In my case, my son called me on the phone and was steaming mad because Honda had sent an email to his email address which was actually a personal email to ME regarding servicing my car. Same type of thing that just happened to you with your son’s gf.

Although I purchased my Honda from this dealership, I have NEVER given them my email address or my son’s email address. My son has never had any dealings whatsoever with any Honda dealership, but did buy a used car (not Honda related) in 2008.

I called Honda to get some clarification…….. and the lies and deceit began. Long story short, I spent many hours and 4 days speaking with various Honda employees and the company that they finally admitted to employing to harvest emails (Eappend). I called Eappend and they staunchly denied that they had ever had any business dealings with Honda. I won’t go into the rest of my search at this point, because it would be a book!!

In the end, the most I was able to do was to get my son’s email address removed from my Honda customer file, and to let them know that I will NEVER give them my email address. It is not a toll call for them to call me on the phone if they have something to relate to me. How difficult is it to make a 15 second phone call like Honda had been doing since 2011?

Anyhoo, I hope that your son’s gf calls her dealership and raises cane to have them remove your email address off of their files.

Oh, and with the hundreds of thousands of Honda’s being recalled now over the deadly shrapnel that occurs when the airbags are deployed, I wonder how many customers will not get the email to bring their Honda in to replace the airbags because the email went to someone else!!!

Honored Contributor

It's not a sign you've been hacked. It's just a sign that an information merchant has tied your name to the wrong e-mail address. Pretty much anything is bought and sold these days and names, addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc. all have value in today's economy.An information merchant somewhere tied your relative's e-mail address to your home address. It's not a big deal, just a sign of an incompetent information merchant doing a bad job by providing incorrect information to their clients.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor
This is different from all of your situations because my sons girlfriend is not tied to us in anyway.the email was specific to her and not a solicitation for sales
Frequent Contributor

Dex no e-mail address is truly private. I think you are missing what others are trying to tell you.

Your son is dating a girl. At some point they have posted a picture of themselves, talked online about each other, or used some for of electronic or social media together. Tying them electronically.

Obviously your son is tied electronically to you.

Your son's girlfriend got the e-mail because the dealership used a data mining company to build an e-mail service list. They troll for every possible kind of electronic data you can imagine.

Either your son's girlfriend didn't supply an e-mail when she did her paperwork, or the dealership lost it/got it wrong. So they used the alternative address given by the mining company, not an address that is tied directly to her as the owner, but associated to you through her relationship with your son.