Super Contributor
Okay, I feel dumb for asking this. I am pretty tech savvy, but seriously can't figure this out. Does anyone know how to read the data results from one of those online Internet speed test sites? I am not sure what the numbers mean, and what should I be looking for to know if I have good/bad speed. Thanks.
Respected Contributor

It tests Mbps or megabits per second. The higher the number the better. I tested mine before posting and I get 30 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload. For those who have never tested, here is a good site.

Speed test

Valued Contributor

I do a speedtest periodically. I usually use the speakeasy one that glb posted. I just did it and mine was 35.15 upload speed and 4.33 download speed with Charter Cable internet connection. That might give you a comparison. When I was on DSL through the phone company I use to have a 1.5 upload speed.

Respected Contributor
On 11/15/2014 In-x-s said:

I do a speedtest periodically. I usually use the speakeasy one that glb posted. I just did it and mine was 35.15 upload speed and 4.33 download speed with Charter Cable internet connection. That might give you a comparison. When I was on DSL through the phone company I use to have a 1.5 upload speed.

I think you mean 35.15 download and 4.33 upload.

Respected Contributor

Essentially, the test can confirm whether your internet provider is really delivering the speeds you are paying for.

Many, if not most, providers offer different speed packages. If you do a lot of on-line gaming or posting/sharing large files, you would want higher speeds. If you are just a basic user, browsing websites, reading e-mail and facebook, you don't need the really high speeds.

Many things can affect speed, even with the speed test sites, so if you are seeing a result that shows you aren't getting what you are paying for, you need to run the test at random times during the day and for more than just one day. If you consistently get less speed than you are paying for, contact your provider and share your results.

Super Contributor

Thanks all. Does your wireless router play into this at all?

I just took the test and got 59.25 download, 12.12 upload. I guess in comparison from posts above this looks pretty good.

But I am on my Mac, and sitting in an area of my house that always gets great wireless connection. I have Comcast, and my bill says I have Blast internet. How do I know from that what kind of speeds I should expect.

Here is why I ask - Call me crazy, but I think Comcast is throttling me in some way? I work from home and my internet keeps dropping throughout the day. Its only momenterily when it happens, sometimes lasting a min or two. Then it comes right back. Not noticing slow download, or connection to different sites, but dropped internet. I sit in a different area of the house then I am sitting now, and I use a windows PC (work owned) laptop for work. I will try the test again on Monday from that laptop.

I had this same problem a few months ago. But I remember at the time I had watched a lot of things streaming through my Apple TV, at the time and was on numorous web cam conference calls for work during the week. Then the problem went away, but I also rarely watch anything streaming, just back to basic internet use. Well, now its happening again, started this week, and this month I have been watching a lot through streaming. So connecting the dots....I am thinking the amount of internet use might be leading to my problems???

I have reset all of my routers. The main Comcast router, the wireless router I have connected to that, and then the extended wireless router I have connected to that (wirelessly - located close to where I sit during the workday).

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor
On 11/15/2014 Lynnj said:

Thanks all. Does your wireless router play into this at all?

I just took the test and got 59.25 download, 12.12 upload. I guess in comparison from posts above this looks pretty good.

But I am on my Mac, and sitting in an area of my house that always gets great wireless connection. I have Comcast, and my bill says I have Blast internet. How do I know from that what kind of speeds I should expect.

Here is why I ask - Call me crazy, but I think Comcast is throttling me in some way? I work from home and my internet keeps dropping throughout the day. Its only momenterily when it happens, sometimes lasting a min or two. Then it comes right back. Not noticing slow download, or connection to different sites, but dropped internet. I sit in a different area of the house then I am sitting now, and I use a windows PC (work owned) laptop for work. I will try the test again on Monday from that laptop.

I had this same problem a few months ago. But I remember at the time I had watched a lot of things streaming through my Apple TV, at the time and was on numorous web cam conference calls for work during the week. Then the problem went away, but I also rarely watch anything streaming, just back to basic internet use. Well, now its happening again, started this week, and this month I have been watching a lot through streaming. So connecting the dots....I am thinking the amount of internet use might be leading to my problems???

I have reset all of my routers. The main Comcast router, the wireless router I have connected to that, and then the extended wireless router I have connected to that (wirelessly - located close to where I sit during the workday).

Thoughts?

Can't say about cable but I do know with my Centurylink DSL the speed varies for more than 1 reason. The time of the day and how many others are on the same "cabinet(they use another terminology, best I can do with the name). They say it also varies with the number of wi-fi components in use in the home and if you have the newest technology when it comes to a router(modem). From what I understand, the latest is called AC.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Most ISPs throttle heavy users. Doing a lot of streaming will put you into the heavy use category.

Regular Contributor

Here is the speed test for Comcast. I have Comcast too but not Blast. I'm in Northern California and in the spring they doubled our speed. They are rolling it out all over the country. I'm getting 50 or more download now without Blast.

http://speedtest.comcast.net

And check out the Comcast forums. There are a lots of discussions about the speed and doubling it. Look under the Basic Internet and Connectivity and Modem help section

http://forums.comcast.com/?TARGET=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.comcast.com%2F

Regular Contributor

Just got 60 download!

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/698057424.png

You might need a new modem. What modem do you have? My speed improved when I got a new modem. Here is a list from Comcast

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/