Honored Contributor

I have a MacBook Air and it is 3 years old.....I think the power source is horrible...I have already had to replace the cord!

I was hoping Apple had redeisgned the cord because I think it is flawed, but when I went to purchase a new one it was the same design.

Where the source attaches (magnetically) to the MacBook air the electrical cord hangs down and eventually the wires break and then power is lost....I am the only person using the MacBook. Does anyone have a suggestion as to fixing the problem. Right now I have taped a popsicle stick to each side of the cord so that it does not hang and when I am not using it I make sure it is not hanging but it looks really stupid. If anyone has an idea I'd appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

Re: MacBook Air power source...

How can you break the cord?

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 glb613 said:

How can you break the cord?

Because it attaches at the side and the magnetic portion is heavy the cord hangs and eventually breaks down and then power to the Macbook is compromised.... The cord is not heavy like an extension cord, it is thinner than that and pliable, it that makes sense.

Obviously I am the only one that has an issue with this, ha! Even the sales person at Apple said it was not a great design.

Super Contributor

I, also, have a MacBook Air that just turned three years old. I have no problem with the cord. I keep it as short as possible and use a tie around the extra length.

Frequent Contributor

You are not alone, check the reviews of this cord on the apple site! I've had to replace mine twice on my 6 yr old macbook air and my husband twice on his 4 yr old macbook pro. They replaced both of ours for free the first time. They are not cheap to replace either at $80 and I don't want to use a non-apple cord even though they are much cheaper to purchase.

My husband is not particularly careful with his, but my electronics are babied so it's not user carelessness causing the issue for me. Now what I usually try to do is, make sure the cord is looped under the keyboard on my lap or desk when I'm using my air so there is no pressure on it. My current cord has lasted for two years now but my husband's second cord is so frayed after about 18 months I ask him to please not leave it plugged into the wall at night, I'm worried about a fire. He's got multiple layers of electrical tape on it and is waiting until he absolutely _must_ replace it.

Honored Contributor

Coldlake....THANK YOU!! I thought it was just me.

Super Contributor

I have a mackbook air too. I've not had a problem with the cord as you described. I've read online that some have the same problems as you. Wonder what you/they do differently than me to have that problem. But...the magnetic attachment process gets on my nerves. I understand why they have this, to minimize stress on the plug when regular cords are under pressure, such as possible pulling. But if I am using it on the couch or recliner, get up and set back down, moving laptop back into position the cord slips out. I am constantly dealing with pluging it back in. Drives me crazy.
Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Rainbow Girl said:

I, also, have a MacBook Air that just turned three years old. I have no problem with the cord. I keep it as short as possible and use a tie around the extra length.

Ours is at least 3 years old and much used and abused and traveled with and has had NO issues.

Super Contributor

I am sorry about your problem. I have a MacBook Air and I leave it on my desk all the time plugged in. It does come unplugged easily my kittens are always in plugging it! Apple should replace your power cord for free.
Honored Contributor

I have two MacBooks and have had several cords "fall apart" on me, we bought new cords and covered them with a cord wrap type of thing and they are now fine

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.