Esteemed Contributor
We have a wireless printer connected to our laptop. Would not print. Went in and looked at its status and it says it is Off Line. can someone explain to me in clear non tech terms exactly what this means and how I correct it. thanks
Honored Contributor

I'm not an expert by any means, but is the printer turned on? It seems like if it was on, and receiving a wireless signal, then it should be "online." Can you connect it to your laptop with a cable and see if it prints?

Respected Contributor

Offline means it's not connected to a internet signal. It can be a wired or wireless signal. Have you tried turning it off then back on again? How about reconnecting it to your router?

Regular Contributor

You may have to uninstall and then reinstall the printer software.

Respected Contributor

If it's an HP printer, I've heard some of them are having that problem (of losing the connection and having to be reconnected to the router).

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

All helpful advice in the comments here. Even rebooting the router might help. KathyPet, It would help to know which devices you're using, if you want specific steps to take.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I'd start out as Gail said, and just turn the printer off and back on.

I don't keep my printers on all the time, but I used to keep one on for longer periods and I noticed that sometimes they go into a kind of 'sleep' where they might not show up until you turn them off and back on.

Sometimes when you compel it to print it will come out of that energy-saving mode and get itself online.

Honored Contributor

Restart your printer -- easiest place to start

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.