Occasional Contributor

Help! I need to buy a "burner phone," or trac phone today. What's the best deal?

I don't have experience with these types of phones. I'm sorry I missed the TSV and the TS with triple minutes, though I don't really understand how that works.

I would like to keep my same Verizon cell phone number, and just need a basic phone for talk and text. I don't care about the camera.

I talked my husband into upgrading to a nicer cell phone that we will share, and he is doing so today. Our joint contract is up. We will save over $60 a month. I just want one additional cheap, non-contract, phone for emergencies on the rare occasions that I'm out without him or we are in two different areas of the store and looking for one another. We are both retired and I am disabled.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help! I need to buy a "burner phone," or trac phone today. What's the best deal?

Walmart typically has one with double minutes for $10-$20. You'll need an airtime card too that will add another $20 or so.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help! I need to buy a "burner phone," or trac phone today. What's the best deal?

E226238

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

That is not a burner phone, my understand of those is something that a criminal will use for a few calls and toss and then get another phone with a new number

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Occasional Contributor

On 11/10/2014 betteb said:

E226238

Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm thinking the cheapie Wal-Mart route is the way to go until I see how much I actually use the extra phone

. I looked at E226238, but 50% of the reviews are 1 star!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/10/2014 upallnightagain said:

E226238

Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my question. I'm thinking the cheapie Wal-Mart route is the way to go until I see how much I actually use the extra phone

I really don't get that at all. I had that phone for over a year and had zero problems.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Occasional Contributor

I meant a no contract phone, but I blanked on the term at the time. Sorry, I thought "burner phone" was another way of saying that.

Trusted Contributor

Burner phones are used for any kind if phone banking, too.

Honored Contributor

"Burner phone".....lol I think they only call them that on cop shows on tv...lol I used a Trac phone for years, I had no problems with it. Walmart has pay-as-you-go phones. They are everywhere.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/10/2014 upallnightagain said:

E226238

I really don't get that at all. I had that phone for over a year and had zero problems.

It's a great phone especially if all you want is talking and text. You get 3 texts perminute. I used it for a year and a half before I upgraded because I wanted better internet access. I have heard that some people have trouble porting their old non Trac Fone numbers to Trac Fone. Other than that I have had Trac Fones for 5 years and love them and the money I save.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.