Super Contributor

If You Upgraded Mac to Yosemite OS

I finally took the plunge and upgraded my Mac to the Yosemite OS this weekend. I also upgraded my phone and pad to iOS8. Some things that I love are -

- Being able to send/receive non-Apple user text messages on all devices (formally only available on the phone). Set up was a little confusing, but once I got it, it's been working fine.

- The Handoff feature is very cool. Not sure how I see myself using this yet, but last night I tested it with an email. Opened email on Mac and started message. Leaving the message open, I went to my pad. On the pad, double tap home screen and saw the email. Tapped that and continued to type message. Leaving it open on the pad, I went to the phone and did the same as I did with the pad to find it. I finished and sent the message from the phone. By the way, if you leave your webpages on safari open on any device, they will show on the other devices when you double tap the hope screen. Or on mac, you see an icon to the left of the dock. In iOS7, if you left website pages open on a device, you opened Safari to see other pages open. That feature is still there, but now it is also available using the handoff function.

- Making and receiving calls on the Mac. This was cool. I ordered a pizza, LOL. Did web search for the pizza place, and saw a little phone icon next to the number. Click the icon and a pop up appeared like it does on the iPhone when making calls (with all the same options to mute/end call, etc. You listen and speak right through the speakers on the mac. The guy who took my order didn't appear to have problems hearing me, and I heard him fine. Of course, this call used minutes from my cell phone. This feature will also work with the iPad, drawing from the cell phone to make calls possible on both the pad and Mac.

Today I found an article that walks through some things to take a look at to better adjust settings to the way you may like the way things appear. I've played with a few things already to see if I like the way it looks better - I especially like Dark Mode setting, which turns your top menu bar and doc bar a dark black color. Much easier to see.

Here's the link for anyone that has done the upgrade and wants to take a look at different settings adjustments -

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2835570/setting-up-os-x-yosemite-the-way-you-want-it.html

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Upgraded Mac to Yosemite OS

Thanks for the information. I'm hedging on upgrading (my Macs are three years old) and really, the capability of OS X Lion suits us just fine. Ain't broke.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info Lynnj. I installed it on my 3 year old MacBook Pro last week. I haven't experimented yet. Heck, I still struggle using my Mac for much more then email and browsing. Only thing I noticed, is that it seems to have slowed down just a tad, not enough to get me aggravated.

Super Contributor

I'm with you Allegheny, a little slow. But I will be trying out that link posted above to see how much more damage I can do. Thanks Lynnj!!

Super Contributor

Yes, I agree with all of you, now that I played with it for a day after upgrade, it is running a little slow and strange. I used Disk Utility to check disk, and I verified and repaired permissions there too. Then I did a restart. Seemed a little better, but we shall see. Let me know if you all need steps on how to do that disk utility stuff. So simple, just a click here and click there. And computer does everything else for you. I am also seeing very strange messages in Console now. Not sure if any of you have ever looked in Console app? It's just messages placed by the computer about inner-workings and tells of things going on. Maybe we all just need the update to the upgrade for them to fix the slowness and strange stuff?
Super Contributor

On 11/9/2014 Allegheny said:

Thanks for the info Lynnj. I installed it on my 3 year old MacBook Pro last week. I haven't experimented yet. Heck, I still struggle using my Mac for much more then email and browsing. Only thing I noticed, is that it seems to have slowed down just a tad, not enough to get me aggravated.

When I switched to a Mac a few years ago, I got a great book - Switching To The Mac, The Missing Manual. It's written by a guy who writes tech articles for the New York Times, David Pogue. He writes a version for each operating system, Lion, Mountain, Lion, Mavericks, and I am sure he will do one for Yosemite (if not already available). If you have Mavericks or Yosemite, then you have the iBooks app available on the computer operating system. You can download it in iBooks, read and try things on the computer. Also, if you have an iPad, the book will sync with the Mac and iPad ibooks app, and will be available on both devices. Anyway...this book helped me to find my way around my Mac and gave me the courage to branch out and do more with it then just email and web surfing.
Honored Contributor

I LOVE that now, with the updates, we can receive non Apple texts on our iPads and Macs AND receive calls to our iPhones on both also.

Last week, my phone was downstairs and I was upstairs on the Mac and all of a sudden, it popped on the screen that I had a call. I took the call on the Mac. Great clarity on my end and they had no problem hearing me. I love both of these new features.

I know there are others, but the text and phone call additions thrilled me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

Did you do the upgrade yourself or take it into the Apple Store ? I have the yellow ribbon at the top of my Gmail stating my browser (Safari) is out of date.

I went to the APP store (on the computer) to upgrade and they wanted my debit card. I was reluctant to give the number because it was soppose to be FREE. Last month I had to contact a medical supplier about a delivery THAT NEVER LEFT THEIR WAREHOUSE and a magazine subscription CHARGED to the debit card even though I sent back the post card with CANCEL written over the renewal notice.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to go after these magazines about CANCELLING magazine subscriptions. I was receiving 11 magazines every month because I did not keep track if I sent back the renewal notices or not. I got into the habit of making a copy of the renewal notice with CANCEL written across the top and some magazines receive the cancellation and some do not.

I have finally reduced my magazines to 5 a month.

Trusted Contributor

I have used the Gmail phone on the Mac several times (when I cannot find my cell phone). A California area code appears on the receivers phone so nobody knows who the heck is calling. It is kind of fun because the receiver always asks me 'OMG where are you ???

Super Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Pie1993 said:

Did you do the upgrade yourself or take it into the Apple Store ? I have the yellow ribbon at the top of my Gmail stating my browser (Safari) is out of date.

I went to the APP store (on the computer) to upgrade and they wanted my debit card. I was reluctant to give the number because it was soppose to be FREE. Last month I had to contact a medical supplier about a delivery THAT NEVER LEFT THEIR WAREHOUSE and a magazine subscription CHARGED to the debit card even though I sent back the post card with CANCEL written over the renewal notice.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to go after these magazines about CANCELLING magazine subscriptions. I was receiving 11 magazines every month because I did not keep track if I sent back the renewal notices or not. I got into the habit of making a copy of the renewal notice with CANCEL written across the top and some magazines receive the cancellation and some do not.

I have finally reduced my magazines to 5 a month.

I updated on my own. It's so easy, no need to get help from someone at Apple, either at a store, phone, or online. You need to provide a card number (credit or debit) when you set up your Apple ID account. You must have skipped this at the time. You won't be charged for anything free, and the upgrade is free. Anytime you buy an app, music, movie, or book that isn't free this will be the account that is charged. To set it up now, open App Store, click on account, sign in, and then look for account settings (or something like that). There will be a place for you to add your card number. I understand your concern about giving a number out, but I've not heard of anyone having any sorts of problems with card account security through Apple. Of course something could always happen, but IMO I think Apple is pretty secure with this type of information. Plus...without it you can't download anything, free or otherwise.