Respected Contributor

11/1 TSV Dell Laptop with MS Office 365

I have an old Dell laptop with Windows 7 and MS Office 2007. I don't use MS Office all the time, but I do occasionally use Word and Exel. I was planning on ordering the the Dell TSV with MS Office 365, but found out that MS Office 365 is a subscription service. I would rather pay upfront for MS Office and use it for the life of my laptop.

What do you think of the MS Office 365? Do you think I should order the Dell laptop without MS Office 365 and then purchase MS Office Home & Student (I'm the only one who uses a laptop at home)? Is there any benefit to the subscription service? If I keep my laptop a long time, it seems like a big expense to pay a service fee once a year.

Right now, I have to pay for McAfee anti-virus protection every year and I also pay for iYogi software support and Square Trade hardware support. It gets to be really expensive. I like the idea of anti-virus and software support for the life of the laptop.

I've had a lot of problems with my Dell computer, especially lately. When I last contacted iYogi, because I had 2 blue screens, after they got my computer working again, I was advised I should purchase Windows 8.1 (I think they just wanted to sell it to me). I said I didn't want to upgrade my old computer (even the letters are coming off my keyboard), and I was thinking of getting a new laptop. My subscription service to iYogi will be ending soon, and I don't want to pay for a renewal.

Regular Contributor

Re: 11/1 TSV Dell Laptop with MS Office 365

I just got a Dell 2 months ago and I'm using Office 2007 (3 licences). I'm with you - I hardly use Office, just Word and Excel on infrequent basis and felt unwarranted to buy a subscription on a yearly basis. I have Norton (free w/Comcast) and haven't bought antivirus software for probably 10 years. I finally got rid of my Toshiba after almost 8 years cause it was sooo slow.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't order a Dell laptop and I guess it would be worth asking yourself why you are, OP, noting that you say you've had a lot of problems.

As for Office, 360 is the wave of the future, so those of us needing those applications will probably end up there at some point. I believe there are, however, other options available that provide Office compatible word processing and spreadsheet options, free for the download.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/1/2014 stevieb said:

I wouldn't order a Dell laptop and I guess it would be worth asking yourself why you are, OP, noting that you say you've had a lot of problems.

As for Office, 360 is the wave of the future, so those of us needing those applications will probably end up there at some point. I believe there are, however, other options available that provide Office compatible word processing and spreadsheet options, free for the download.

I wouldn't either. They're pure JUNK!
Honored Contributor

I had one Dell and I vowed never again to buy one. It's just like throwing your money away because you'll have to replace it so quickly.

Respected Contributor

On 11/1/2014 Runner26 said:

I just got a Dell 2 months ago and I'm using Office 2007 (3 licences). I'm with you - I hardly use Office, just Word and Excel on infrequent basis and felt unwarranted to buy a subscription on a yearly basis. I have Norton (free w/Comcast) and haven't bought antivirus software for probably 10 years. I finally got rid of my Toshiba after almost 8 years cause it was sooo slow.

I have the CDs for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. Do you think I could order the Dell TSV without the MS Office 365 and just install the MS Office 2007 on my new computer? I would just get rid of the computer I'm using now, and use the new one.

Valued Contributor

Windows 8.1 .... there are users reverting back to Windows 7. I am holding off ordering this laptop due to this issue only.

Super Contributor

I have a Dell laptop Intel i7 with a backlit keyboard and I love it and so far it is doing great it starts up fast and webpages load fast it was HP laptops I was having problems with always had HP's but after returning two HP laptops with problems I went for a Dell. I'm sorry I cant answer your question about MS office 360 I don't need any word programs I only use my laptop for scrapbooking but I think this is a good deal from Dell.

Regular Contributor

On 11/1/2014 Lyn08 said:
On 11/1/2014 Runner26 said:

I have the CDs for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. Do you think I could order the Dell TSV without the MS Office 365 and just install the MS Office 2007 on my new computer? I would just get rid of the computer I'm using now, and use the new one.

Yes. I guess you have to uninstall the Office on your old computer (if you only have one licence) and then you should be able to install it on your new computer.

Super Contributor

On 11/1/2014 autumnsunset said:

I have a Dell laptop Intel i7 with a backlit keyboard and I love it and so far it is doing great it starts up fast and webpages load fast it was HP laptops I was having problems with always had HP's but after returning two HP laptops with problems I went for a Dell. I'm sorry I cant answer your question about MS office 360 I don't need any word programs I only use my laptop for scrapbooking but I think this is a good deal from Dell.

I had problem with HP laptops also! I never really had problems with Dell..