Super Contributor
I recently bought the Kindle Fire HD 7 and was so excited to get it. After having it for a few days, I'm a little bummed. No.1....I don't think you can customize the home page. No.2, I learned that it's not an android device so it's a little weird to me. I also bought the Le Pan, which seems to be the one that I'll keep. Anyone else not that thrilled with the Kindle? I really want to like it.
Valued Contributor

Re: Kindle Fire HD 7...problem.

I LOVE my Kindle Fire HDX and have never had an issue with it.

Super Contributor

I never had a KFHD and purchased my 3rd gen. New ( just prior to the launch of the 2014's!). It is android, but modified for Amazon. I also have a LePan ll (from shophq) and am keeping it because I was able to put the Amazon Instant Video app. on it to view Prime videos. I absolutely love this KF and use it every day..more than my laptop..more than LePan. I found the perfect case for $5 which puts it to sleep when closed. On the KF item page, there should be ( on the f a r right in tiny letters) the word 'discussions'. Click that and you will see the Kindle H e lp customer discussions . Don't give up, the KF is so much fun! I have been using all the benefits of Prime for the 30-d a y free trial and it is amazing how many benefits there are! Anyway..check out the Kindle help forums!
Respected Contributor

I only have the 2 year old HD, so I'm not sure if it is the same or not. There is only the carousel on mine. So, no there is no customization. You can only add or delete things.

If you sent it back and get the HD, you can use either the carousel or you can have icons like the IPad has. You have a choice. I don't know if you can put your own wallpaper on it because I don't care about that and have never tried.

As far as the Android system being weird... you have to use Amazon apps only and it is not tied to the Playstore. Amazon has plenty of apps to keep me happy.

I was totally happy with my HD until I got the HDX. I have both versions. Without even looking to see which one I am using I can tell by how it works. The HDX is just faster and smoother.

I have the 8.9" HDX on preorder at Amazon and can't wait to get it.

Edit: The only thing I like better on the HD vs. the HDX is that I like the power and volume button placement on the HD better.

Super Contributor

i love my kindle and it work awesome.