Honored Contributor

Please do this before you shop for a tablet

If you are looking for an iPad, PLEASE go to the Apple Store online and familiarize yourself with ALL the iPad generations available before you buy. Maybe even print out the. NAMES and features of all of the generations. Be absolutely positive that the iPad you buy is the one you want/need and if this is important to you, be sure that it is the most current generation available. If you aren't absolutely sure, ask a techie. I recently bought an iPad Air /Verizon/ 64GB, knowing that a new generation would be coming out, as it did this last week. I got a good price and a good deal on my trade-in. My son NEEDS the speed of the BRAND NEW iPad Air 2, and I don't, so we have chosen different generations for different reasons. Before you spend your money, do your research so that you are SURE you will be getting the equipment that is RIGHT for you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Please do this before you shop for a tablet

You may be right, but I don't agree with it (I may be wrong LOL). If I'm going to buy something, I want the newest model available even if I don't need it. It will stay "current" longer, so it is worth the extra money to me. I want the newest technology.

I do agree to try not to buy more than you need though. When I bought my latest Kindle HDX (preordered, not received yet), I chose not to get the 3G version. I have a Samsung Note 3 phone with a generous data plan that I will use when wifi is not available. I did choose to buy the 64 GB version though because I do like my movies!

Since you can download Amazon Prime movies on the newer Kindle HDX's directly, then I always have something to do when wifi is not available. I can play my games (Words With Friends) on my phone.

Honored Contributor

I agree with getting help from some you know who is a techie and knows you. But those of us who are tech challenged can visit all the websites and do all the research and comparisons and it will all go right over our heads.
Super Contributor

Well I agree about looking online so you actually understand what you are buying, or what is being offered as a deal. Many times, like with the Q presentations,the deals are for older technology. For example, the Q is selling an iPad for $400 something (comes with a bunch of junk not needed, and they sell it with tech support - which is NOT Apple direct support). Anyway, the version they are selling is the iPad 2. (1) Apple is now 4 versions ahead of the ipad 2, now that the iPad air2 is available. iPad 2 is very out dated. (2) Apple online or Apple store sells the iPad cheaper that $400. What is so heartbreaking is that when the Q does their iPad presentations they hype up that what they are offering is the latest technology. People who have no idea what they are buying fall for it, not only paying more then they would directly from Apple, but what they are buying is very old.
Respected Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Lynnj said: Well I agree about looking online so you actually understand what you are buying, or what is being offered as a deal. Many times, like with the Q presentations,the deals are for older technology. For example, the Q is selling an iPad for $400 something (comes with a bunch of junk not needed, and they sell it with tech support - which is NOT Apple direct support). Anyway, the version they are selling is the iPad 2. (1) Apple is now 4 versions ahead of the ipad 2, now that the iPad air2 is available. iPad 2 is very out dated. (2) Apple online or Apple store sells the iPad cheaper that $400. What is so heartbreaking is that when the Q does their iPad presentations they hype up that what they are offering is the latest technology. People who have no idea what they are buying fall for it, not only paying more then they would directly from Apple, but what they are buying is very old.

Great advice Lynnj.

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 mima said:
On 10/18/2014 Lynnj said: Well I agree about looking online so you actually understand what you are buying, or what is being offered as a deal. Many times, like with the Q presentations,the deals are for older technology. For example, the Q is selling an iPad for $400 something (comes with a bunch of junk not needed, and they sell it with tech support - which is NOT Apple direct support). Anyway, the version they are selling is the iPad 2. (1) Apple is now 4 versions ahead of the ipad 2, now that the iPad air2 is available. iPad 2 is very out dated. (2) Apple online or Apple store sells the iPad cheaper that $400. What is so heartbreaking is that when the Q does their iPad presentations they hype up that what they are offering is the latest technology. People who have no idea what they are buying fall for it, not only paying more then they would directly from Apple, but what they are buying is very old.

Great advice Lynnj.

I agree. Excellent post. I think sometimes the electronics purchases from the Q are impulse buys, and I suppose that's always going to be a part of selling no matter who does it. You have to wonder how many people realize, months later, they've spent too much money for a device that's quickly becoming outdated and for accessories that were poor quality and unneeded.

eta: Thanks for this thread, violann. It's likely you've helped some people slow down and think more carefully about their purchases.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Not everyone wants to spend for an Apple tablet. There are tablets out there for a lot less money that are perfectly adequate for many people's needs.

Honored Contributor

?? Odd comment for this particular thread, since the OP is speaking to and about QVC's marketing of iPads and the majority of responses involve iPads. However, I will only further comment that all of the shopping channels sell a wide variety of Android tablets, all of which are much less expensive than iPads, just as old and outdated as the iPads the shopping channels sell, and the majority are no-name tablets that can also be found at Big Lots and similar stores. They may or may not be "adequate" for peoples' use, but most of the shopping channel versions will never be more than adequate. Not what most people are looking for when they get excited about having a tablet, adequate. How fun :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

If you are new to tablets, Apple gives customers the best bang for the buck. The company has the best tech support, and ease of use. This might seem silly, but Apple gets many apps first. Amazon video app came to apple first this year. Amazon just introduced the video app for the Android cell phone. There is not an app for Android tablet. Then there is the question of hardware.
Honored Contributor

I have found, over the years, that those who bad-mouth Apple products as much more expensive than Android, or much more expensive than they "need to be", etc., or who talk about how restrictive the infrastructure is, in reality simply can't afford to buy Apple products. There is nothing wrong with not being able to afford a Ferrari, but don't try to convince people that you enjoy your Chevy driving experience every bit as much as the Ferrari owner enjoys theirs. After all, both cars will still drive down the street perfectly well.

ETA that I'm not knocking Android devices. They have their own Ferraris. But it's always the Android buyers who knock the Apple owners. Apple owners don't run around knocking Android. They don't need to. They're happy just using their Apple product, minding their own business.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all