Super Contributor

In several threads on this discussion board questions and comments have been posted about upgrading from an older iPhone to the newest version. I have discovered that upgrading is very cost effective for me when my current contract expires at the end of the 2 year agreement with my cell provider.

Those who have older phones and are experiencing problems with updating iOS to the latest version might want to check into how much it would cost to get a newer phone which the new iOS software is built to accommodate.

Older iPhones will fetch decent prices -- there are many places that buy older iPhones -- Gazelle.com is one. They will pay $160 for an iPhone 5 16GB in good condition.

A new iPhone 6 is $199. So, for $39 every two years, basically $20 a year, you can carry a new iPhone. Your cell phone bill will stay the same each month whether you upgrade or not. So if you're still carrying an older iPhone you will pay the same monthly bill as you would with a new iPhone.

If your iPhone is older than 2 years you, of course, won't get as much for it when you sell it. That's why it's economically feasible for many of us to upgrade at the end of our 2 year contract.

I just contacted my cell provider, Verizon, and there is no activation fee since I already have an account with them. I will order my phone from Apple.com when my contract expires, and transfer my cell number to the new phone myself -- never having to walk into the Verizon store. There will be no additional charges to upgrade to the iPhone 6 except for the cost of the phone itself.

Respected Contributor

Re: Upgrading to a new iPhone

Yep. This has been true for some time. Once your contract expires with Verizon you can purchase your new phone at the discounted price.
Super Contributor

That is definitely not true. The reason I have not upgraded from my 4S is that my contract ended over a year ago and I have been on a month to month program. ATT gives me an awesome deal whereby I only pay $50 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.

As soon as I upgrade (even to the iPhone 5) I have to enter into another 2 year contract with at least a $100 per month bill. I am holding onto my "outdated" iPhone until it no longer works!

Occasional Contributor

Yes you enter into a 2 year agreement, but you do not have to change your plan. I have a grandfathered plan and I upgrade my phones and make it clear that I do NOT want to change my plan, all it does it commit me to another two years. They keep trying but I tell them to keep how I have it.

Honored Contributor

When I upgraded from my iPhone 3G to the iPhone 5, AT&T not only was willing to "grandfather" the new phone into my existing plan, they found a way to lower the cost a bit while keeping the same benefits (like unlimited texting, for example). Either way, though, with continuing the old plan or changing to the less expensive one I did have to begin a new 2-year contract with them. I'm glad Cha1k started the conversation, because it's good for all of us to talk with our wireless provider and think about what might work best. Often, the companies have more options than they're willing to admit to up-front.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

It is true that they will "grandfather" you in. I am with Verizon, and several years ago (back when flip phones where the most current technology) I had a contract plan that provided 300 min for $30 with free night and weekend. I mainly talk night and weekend, so the 300 min works really well for me. They grandfathered me into that plan, and even now that I am upgraded to an iPhone, I still have that plan but added data to my phone.

Now, if I change my plan to their most current offering where I would get unlimited minutes, I would pay more for that plan. It would provide me with more data in this plan then I currently have, but I just monitor my usage to keep that under control. Since I generally only use a little over 100 min per month, the additional cost for the unlimited plan isn't a good option for me. So I stay put with my grandfathered plan.

Super Contributor

Chalk you make a good point about selling your old phone when you do the upgrade. And to get the most bang for your buck, upgrade at the 2 year mark so when you sell the phone you get top dollar. Between what you make on the sale of the phone, and the cost of the new phone, the difference between the two is actually what you are playing. In your case, $39 for a new phone, which you plan on using for the next two years.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know about the grandfathered plans so if you want to keep something like that this comment is not for you Smiley Wink But I am very happy with my Verizon Edge program. I'm still trying to figure out how they benefit from this but it seems to be a good deal. I get a brand new phone (2-yr contract I suppose) and I pay off the full price of the phone over 20 monthly installments. Thing is that Verizon also gives me a $25 rebate every month. In my case with my current Samsung S5, I pay $24 and change but they give me $25. So technically they pay me a few cents every month for the new phone I got in June. When I'm done paying for the phone the monthly payments stop and so do the monthly rebates.

And once half the price of the phone is paid off I can turn it in and start a new Edge plan with a new phone if I want.

Now none of this has anything to do with the minutes, texting, data plans but I'm keeping those anyway. For me the Edge plan was a no-brainer. Oh, the $25 rebate is only that high because we have a 10GB data plan. If you have a lower data plan the rebate is $10. Keep that in mind. But my mom is on our phone plan and her iPad/smart phone are the only internet access she has so we need 10GB and it's worth it to us.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

KJPA
Valued Contributor

Had thought about upgrading; however I took a look at the IPhone 6 models yesterday. Yikes, they are large phones. I just can't imagine carrying around a phone that large.

Honored Contributor

While others are upgrading their phones, I am actually downgrading mine, due to Sprint and Verizon no longer supporting Blackberry's. Now that I'm retired, all I need is a cell phone that rings, and unlimited text messaging.