Respected Contributor

I have Malwarebytes Pro but as of about a week ago I cannot get it to run. About a week ago my PC did something called CHKDSK on startup. I have never seen this screen before and have had the PC about 4 years. I let it run because I didn't know what else to do and I think ever since then I can't run malwarebytes. I'm not positive these two things are related.

I researched on-line and it said to run chameleon, which I found in the malwarebytes folder and I ran it (looks like it went to DOS) but I still can't run regular malwarebytes in Windows. There is something else in the folder called mbamkiller. What is that?

I'm afraid I have some kind of malware on my computer that is preventing malwarebytes from running and I'm afraid to uninstall (and reinstall) malwarebytes in case that's worse. I was able to do a full scan in Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday (took over 6 hours) and it found nothing (but it probably doesn't look for malware).

Another thing I found on-line is Windows Malware Support which claims to have a malware removal tool. Is this legit?

Can someone help me, please?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help With Malwarebytes

Check Disc can run for a variety of reasons and doesn't necessarily mean you have malware.

Have you tried rebooting since you discovered Malwarebytes wouldn't run? I know it's a simple question, but it does fix a lot of problems and there's a reason the IT help people always ask if you've rebooted.

The Malwarebytes foums indicate that mbam-killer is a legit part of their program, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I would contact Malwarebytes support and ask them for help.

Honored Contributor

Rebooting is your first step. If that doesn't solve the problem then updating Malwarebytes would be next. MSE does scan for malware so the fact that it didn't find anything is good. I just downloaded and installed a brand hew updated version of Malwarebytes today when prompted by my computer, so updating your version would be smart no matter what.

If all else fails, it's possible you've got a corrupted registry entry. A registry cleaner like CCleaner might help, but be sure to back up the existing registry before cleaning the old entries. I've never had an issue with CCleaner, but I always back up the old entries anyway. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Don't run a registry cleaner. They do more harm than good. I'd uninstall Malwarebytes, download the latest version, install it, update then run a scan.

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 glb613 said:

Don't run a registry cleaner. They do more harm than good. I'd uninstall Malwarebytes, download the latest version, install it, update then run a scan.

How does a registry cleaner do more harm than good? I have CCleaner and after running it, my computer is much faster.

Just wondering if you would clarify.

Respected Contributor

Ask the experts here about registry cleaners:

CNET.com

Honored Contributor

Corrupted registry entries can create all kinds of chaos in a computer including preventing programs from starting. Like I said, if all else fails, give it a try but back up the registry values first. CCleaner makes that easy, so it's not a big deal. If it causes any trouble, then it's easy to restore the old settings and you're right back where you were. I've never had an issue with CCleaner causing trouble and it's saved me from a couple of issues that were driving me nuts, so in my experience it can be helpful, but I do only recommend it as a last resort.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I'm at my wits's end. I've rebooted many times since a week ago. I've tried to uninstall MB and reinstall it and I get a runtime error. I did a system restore to two weeks ago. Still can't run MB. I downloaded CCleaner and ran it. Still can't run MB.

Can anyone tell me a fix for runtime errors. I saw a couple of sites that promise easy fixes but I don't know if I trust them.

I appreciate all the responses.

Trusted Contributor

I'd try the Malwarebytes forum.

forums.malwarebytes.org

Respected Contributor

On 10/13/2014 Caffeina said:

I'd try the Malwarebytes forum.

forums.malwarebytes.org

Yes, I've been there. They mainly advise to uninstall and reinstall. Nothing about fixing a run time error during reinstall.