Trusted Contributor

odd discoloration in one area on my tv screen

Up in the upper right hand corner of my tv it's a greenish/purple color. Does anyone know what this is and what might cause it? Thanks. The rest of the picture on the screen is fine.

Occasional Contributor

Re: odd discoloration in one area on my tv screen

Is it a plasma tv?

Trusted Contributor

No, it's an analog tv that I bought around 2000.

Super Contributor

Do you watch a specific tv channel for hours at a time that might have an image on the UR corner of your tv? LED and plasma tv's are subject to "burn in." I know in the past, ladies have reported a burn in image of the QVC product and price box on the UL corner. Here is what I found online:

"In general, you should avoid keeping a static picture (that is, a picture that contains no or few moving elements) or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. If, for example, you have your TV set to 4:3, and have black borders on the top and bottom, or on the sides, changing the picture size for a minute or two every couple of hours, say during commercials or in between shows, would decrease the chance of screen burn in. Reducing the brightness and contrast of the screen when it is displaying static elements will also decrease the chance of burn in."

The source is Samsung.com FAQ.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

This is most likely an issue with the picture tube in an older CRT set. It could be something simple (like a speaker or other magnetic source placed too close to the TV) but in all likelihood it's your TV's way of saying goodbye. You might be able to get it fixed, but I'd be surprised if anyone replaced picture tubes anymore. (They're large to stockpile, heavy, fragile, and expensive.) This is probably a good time to either visit a resale store (Goodwilll, etc.) if you want to stick with a CRT, or upgrade to a new digital set. Upgrading to a new LCD type set will blow your mind when you see how much better and bigger a picture you can get for quite a low price these days. (Forty inch LCD's now routinely retail for under $300, 32 inch sets are under $200.) The new sets are lighter (by a ton!) thinner, have many more options and will make you wonder why you ever stuck with a CRT set for so long. I got my mother a 32 inch LCD set last year that weighs a whopping 9 pounds. It's almost scary how light they are compared to older style CRT sets. Realistically, it would cost you at least $300 to have the picture tube replaced, if you could even get it done and you'd still have the old TV. It's likely time to upgrade.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

It's an indication your TV is failing. Time to buy new.