Regular Contributor

We are in the market for a new television. Probably 48-50". Would love to be able to get Netflix and Amazon through the TV itself. What do I need to know? Do I have to get a "smart tv" for that? I don't need anything super fancy but would like a really nice picture. Any suggestions on what to look for would be great. TIA

Respected Contributor

You need a smart TV or a streaming device. Some streaming devices and smart TVs require a wireless router. What type of internet setup do you have at home.

Respected Contributor

I will be watching for advice too. I am looking for one that is around 40-42. I have been reading and looks like Samsung is a good smart tv, but pricey compared to other brands.

I want one simple to run. I do have wifi.

Regular Contributor

I bought a new 55" Samsung Smart TV last fall and I absolutely love it. Believe it or not I even bought it from QVC - http://www.qvc.com/Samsung-55-Ultra-Slim-LED-1080p-3D-Smart-TV-w1200-CMR-.product.E269270.html?upsh.... E269270. QVC had the best price, searched everywhere and could not find it lower, had it on 6 easy payments and the shipping was free. Still can believe I bought my TV from QVC but I did.

This TV has Netflix, amazon prime, youtube, Skype, etc apps all installed and ready to go out of the box.

I've been working in technology for almost 20 years and I had some specific things I was looking for. Knowing how fast technology becomes dated I wanted to insulate myself from this as much as possible. I also didn't want some technology that might just be a trend (curved tvs, oled, ??). This is what was important to me:

- A "smart tv" - one with WiFi built in.

- A built in camera that I can easily disable or turn on. This I wanted because I work from home and I can Skype right from my TV instead of my laptop.

- LED - great light and low energy costs.

- It had to be a Samsung because I think their TVs are the best. When I stand in a store with a wall of TV's - I'm always drawn to the picture quality of a Samsung.

- It had to be a model with "smart evolution built in". This is a great technology that will allow upgrades to my tv overtime as technology improves without having to buy a whole new TV.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Samsung tvs. I have three of them in my house.

Honored Contributor

I am personally in the market for a specific TV, and it will definitely be a Samsung. We have a lot of Samsung products, including our cell phones, and I have never been disappointed in any of their products.

You can get a very good Samsung LED smart TV in the 50" model for around $1300, sometimes less if you shop around the online retailers. I just saw a Vizio 50" Smart TV with a 2 year warranty for $699.95. This is a Full Array Lit LED set which means it is an LCD using LED lighting and unlike most other LED's that are "edge lit" this is full back lit. This price includes to your door and is on the other shopping network.

Sure, there are other ways to make any TV a "smart TV" and that depends on what a person prefers to use them to do. I have access to "apps" on our Mitsubishi DLP TV, which is 5 years old. We also have 2 Samsung Blu-ray players that are also able to do online things with them. These are all at least 4 years old and do not have a specific web browser.

If a person sits down with their owners manual and learns 1 new thing at a time they will have much better luck getting to know any new electronic device. Way too many want to learn "yesterday", just like this era of life, right now. Then they wonder why everything seems too hard to figure out. That is the way I have always done it and will continue to learn any new electronic device.

Good shopping to you

hckynut(john)