Respected Contributor

Today, I had two computer shut-downs with the BlueScreen.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1545 Intel Core Duo with Windows 7. I also pay for yearly software service from iYogi. I have to pay each year for McAfee anti-virus protection.

I've been satisfied with my iYogi service, but I've also had numerous problems with my Dell (that I bought in 2010 from QVC) since I purchased it.

I contacted iYogi today remotely, and the technician took over my PC to check for a solution to the problems that occurred today. He ran some scans and checked to see why my computer crashed twice. He said I should upgrade my computer to 8.1. I personally don't see why upgrading to 8.1 should make any difference. If I'm upgrading to 8.1, I may as well order a new computer. He said if I upgraded to 8.1, I should be able to use my computer another 2-3 years. It would cost me about $168 to do the upgrade to 8.1 (including tax and shipping).

Also, why should I upgrade to Windows 8.1, when Windows 10 will soon be here?

I want to investigate new computers, and would like some recommendations from you. I only need a computer to access the internet, use Microsoft Office and send emails. I also want to be able to load photos from my camera using an SD card reader.

I looked briefly online, and the 2014 best laptops recommended are:

Apple MacBook Air (13")

Lenova Thinkpad X240

ASUS

I'm only familiar with my Dell laptop, as that's the first and only computer I've owned.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Respected Contributor

You can restore your computer back to the factory condition free of charge. I've done that to several computers (damaged operating systems) and they ran like new. Most computers with Windows 7 or newer have a built in system recovery that does the work for you. I would try that first. If it doesn't solve the problem, then consider getting a new computer.

Honored Contributor
Windows 10 will not be here ""soon."" They are predicting some time in 2015. It doesn't sound like you can wait.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

The iYogi technician ran a system restore for me. However, he said I most likely will have problems in the near future. Maybe he was just trying to sell me 8.1.

I think I'll just let things be for awhile. I have plenty of expenses, and don't need another big one, especially with the holidays coming up.

However, I do want to investigate new computers. I forgot to mention that I do volunteer work using my laptop to place grocery orders for home-bound seniors. I don't have the best eyesight, so I need a decent size screen. I currently have a 15" screen on my Dell laptop.

Super Contributor
Your intuition is correct, there is no need to update to 8.1. Microsoft 7 is still being supported by Microsoft and can on any Windows based computer. Updating has nothing to do with fixing your problem. The blue screen crash is something with the hard drive, or something else with the internal workings of the computer. Your lucky you have been able to come back from the blue screen. Many cannot. Maybe there is a local computer repair place you can take it to. They probably will provide a free estimate, and then you can decide based on price if it's worth it to fix or get a new computer. That said, 2010 is 4 almost 5 years you've had this. It is getting old, and depending on how much you use the computer, logically you must know that it isn't intended to last forever. There have been many threads recently asking the same question about which computer to buy, and many responses are very good. Obviously everyone has a different opinion on what brand is best. Please look here in the electronics forum for these threads. It will be helpful to you as you begin your search. But whatever you do, please buy at a store near you or online directly from the manufacturer.
Super Contributor
On 10/11/2014 Lyn08 said:

The iYogi technician ran a system restore for me. However, he said I most likely will have problems in the near future. Maybe he was just trying to sell me 8.1.

I think I'll just let things be for awhile. I have plenty of expenses, and don't need another big one, especially with the holidays coming up.

However, I do want to investigate new computers. I forgot to mention that I do volunteer work using my laptop to place grocery orders for home-bound seniors. I don't have the best eyesight, so I need a decent size screen. I currently have a 15" screen on my Dell laptop.

Did the tech do a restore to a previous date, or a complete restore to factory settings? There is a big difference. If it is just to a previous date they didn't fix anything. They just took the computer back to the date it was last time the computer created a restore date. Doesn't mean that the computer was working well on that date, or the problem wasn't there already. Restore to factory settings will wipe everything on the computer, and reset it to be just like it was when you took it out of the box. Before you attempt this, make a back up of your hard drive onto an external hard drive.
Esteemed Contributor

I have had several laptops, and experiences ranging from completely satisfied to nightmarish.

I highly, highly recommend Lenovo. Absolutely, hands-down, my first choice.

Kiss

Respected Contributor
On 10/11/2014 NYC Susan said:

I have had several laptops, and experiences ranging from completely satisfied to nightmarish.

Kiss

I was interested in Lenovo, after reading reviews on-line. I've had many, many problems with my Dell computer, ever since I bought it from QVC. I've spent HOURS on the phone or on-line with technicians trying to resolve problems. Problems are resolved, and then new problems occur maybe a couple months later. So, I don't think I'd want another Dell. I'm going to keep using this computer as long as I can. Then I'll look for a new one.

I did a complete backup to my Dell External Hard Drive today, after working with the iYogi technician. I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer that is absolutely important to keep.

What Lenovo laptop do you own and can recommend?

Esteemed Contributor

Kiss

I was interested in Lenovo, after reading reviews on-line. I've had many, many problems with my Dell computer, ever since I bought it from QVC. I've spent HOURS on the phone or on-line with technicians trying to resolve problems. Problems are resolved, and then new problems occur maybe a couple months later. So, I don't think I'd want another Dell. I'm going to keep using this computer as long as I can. Then I'll look for a new one.

I did a complete backup to my Dell External Hard Drive today, after working with the iYogi technician. I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer that is absolutely important to keep.

You should look at Lenovo's site, and call CS and ask someone to assist you with a sale.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/11/2014 nutmeg3 said:

Kiss

You should look at Lenovo's site, and call CS and ask someone to assist you with a sale.

Yes, I agree. I also think you should go & look at some in person.

To answer your question, I can't remember offhand which ones I've had. But - like you - I prefer a screen that's not too small. I really think you'll find a Lenovo that you like, and that you'll be really happy with it.

Good luck!

Kiss