Esteemed Contributor

TSV - HP Laptop - Retail Value $1,356.00 - really??

I may still be somewhat tech-challenged, but not as much as I was before posting on this forum. With all the great information you all gave me, my son got a great Toshiba 17.3" laptop that he's very happy with at a super-terrific price. I've been looking at computers a lot since then, and am more convinced than ever that he got a fantastic deal. Thanks again to all those who posted and gave me so much valuable input.

Yes, I'm still irritated at the fiasco of ordering the Dell TSV a few weeks ago and not being able to cancel it. And now we have today's special value.... an HP 15.6", AMD Dual-Core processor, 4GB DDR3L SDRAM, 500GB 5400 RPM hard drive with a three-cell lithium-ion battery?

How can they possibly put a $1,356.00 retail value on this computer? Really? Talk about inflating a price. I can find this or better at my local Walmart for $250.00....of course without all the software, most of which will never be used, except for McAfee, and that's only a 30-day free trial! And QVC's regular price will be $409.00?

And I will never use McAfee again, after they took my virus protection off my computer to resolve a problem and then couldn't figure out how to put it back, thus leaving me unprotected with no way to fix it? I cancelled McAfee and now have Webroot, including 25GB of secure online storage, accessible from all your devices (cloud storage for backup).

I guess QVC's TSV price is not all that bad with all the added "stuff", but $1,356.00 retail? What retail store are they looking at?

Super Contributor

Re: TSV - HP Laptop - Retail Value $1,356.00 - really??

I agree with OP. In reading your post. cheap, outdated, and bottom of the line specs are what this TSV is made up with. Only uneducated shoppers would fall for this as a deal, and actually think this is going to be a fast efficient computer. I am so impressed to see how much you have learned about technology in such a short time. You are well on your way to becoming tech savoy, and at the very least, you currently are an educated consumer as it relates to purchasing a computer. Kudos to you for taking the time to educate yourself.
Honored Contributor

Sitting here watching the presentation. What a joke! The one good (relatively speaking) use this TSV and other extremely outdated bottom-of-the-barrel computers QVC pushes would be for a lower income family to purchase a computer for their child/children, or so a multiple child/multiple person household could have additional basic machines. That, I can see. But you could STILL buy a similar product for under $200 and most places you could buy it from would also have payments. I have noticed that HSN has much more up-to-date computer offerings from time to time (along with their own duds) and at actual very-close-to-bargain prices.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Many online vendors will say anything to get customers to spend their money. In the street people would say someone is running a game, a slick con.

Esteemed Contributor

I often have wondered who bought computers from QVC. I have never seen a computer on the Q that can't be bought for MUCH cheaper somewhere else.

My daughter was thinking of getting a Macbook that was a TSV a couple of years ago. After comparison shopping for about 5 minutes online, she found it for almost $500 cheaper at about every site she visited. You would think that as a TSV they would at least be close in price.

I would hope people at least check a few other sites before buying a computer from the Q.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Check out the HP website - there is something very similar, but with a newer processer, for $249. Unreal.

Esteemed Contributor

I did buy my Dell desktop five years ago from QVC...without doing any real research. I had had Dells at work for years, and never had the first problem with any of them. I know now that I paid more than I should have at that time, but you learn from experience. It was supposed to have a "19-in-1 card reader" installed in it according to the specs, and I still don't know what the 19 in 1 means. But I got a notification from QVC about a week after I got it saying that for some reason it was not installed, and Dell would send me one that I could "just plug in" to the computer. They sent it, with no instructions, not one single piece of paper with it, and credited me for $20.00. That should have been a big wake-up call, but I just didn't want to pack the computer up and send it back, I just thought it was not a really big deal.

The computer has done what I needed it to do, and I even had a McAfee rep tell me when I had the fiasco with them a few weeks ago that my computer runs really fast...and it's five years old with a Pentium processor. I don't have gazillions of pictures or extra programs or anything on it, and it's performed fine with never a problem.

Now I'm finding that the original Windows Vista Home Premium and IE 7 just don't work so well ... at least for some reason I can't upgrade IE to 8 or 9 and get them to work, so I just use Google Chrome, and it does what I need.

But when I get ready to buy another one, I've learned not to do it from TV. I used to "trust" QVC, and sometimes I just can't believe (or maybe I can) that they would tout some of these computers the way they do. Like the Dell I cancelled - I wasn't in a position at the time to place the order the way I usually do online, but I had seen a little about it and got a friend to place the order for me. Then I did see the presentation and heard "the latest technology Dell has". I remember Rick holding that computer up above his head spouting that line...with an Intel Celeron Processor! (I did know what that was Smile). That's when I cancelled it...

Super Contributor

KittymomNC, I just heard Rick last night say that this computer was the very best technology, lol. And to your point about the Dell you got from the Q previously, every computer brand and retailer has the chance of having a lemon in the bunch. It sounds like the Dell you got a few years ago was the best of the bunch. You should feel,lucky that you had such success with it. To be honest, I really wasn't paying attention to what they were saying on tv and the prices when they sold computers until maybe 2-3 years ago. Maybe before that time they were more honest in what they were presenting as latest technology. Remember too, 10-15 years ago most computers were the latest technology, and technology has grown tremendously over the years. But since I have been paying attention, I am shocked to see old and outdated component parts that make up these computers they sell. Then to add in a bunch of extras that no one will use, from software to cheap accessories and also include useless "lifetime tech support" that is no support at all. Then when you stop and add all of that up, do some comparison shopping online, and see it is highway robbery. Just thinking about it makes me sick because I know many watching simply don't know the difference.
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/11/2014 Lynnj said: KittymomNC, I just heard Rick last night say that this computer was the very best technology, lol. And to your point about the Dell you got from the Q previously, every computer brand and retailer has the chance of having a lemon in the bunch. It sounds like the Dell you got a few years ago was the best of the bunch. You should feel,lucky that you had such success with it. To be honest, I really wasn't paying attention to what they were saying on tv and the prices when they sold computers until maybe 2-3 years ago. Maybe before that time they were more honest in what they were presenting as latest technology. Remember too, 10-15 years ago most computers were the latest technology, and technology has grown tremendously over the years. But since I have been paying attention, I am shocked to see old and outdated component parts that make up these computers they sell. Then to add in a bunch of extras that no one will use, from software to cheap accessories and also include useless "lifetime tech support" that is no support at all. Then when you stop and add all of that up, do some comparison shopping online, and see it is highway robbery. Just thinking about it makes me sick because I know many watching simply don't know the difference.

If I believed that an AMD DUAL CORE processor and a THREE-CELL BATTERY are the latest technology, then I need the men in the white coats to come and get me, because I've finally gone over the edge! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} As you say, there are too many people out there who trust QVC and they're selling them down the river! This has made me have a whole different outlook on QVC as a company...{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Esteemed Contributor

For computers/electronics and large appliances --- do ur homework and shop in stores locally. Otherwise, you'll get ripped off. You must comparison shop --- speak to several salespeople and see what's out there. QVC doesn't have the latest and best!!!!