Super Contributor

I've been inundated recently by calls from people posing as a Microsoft rep saying that my computer is infected with viruses. Caller ID shows only College Station Texas (no phone number). The person, always male, has a thick Indian accent and boiler room calls can be heard in the background. Obviously a scam and I hang up on them.

Through google I found that this particular scam has been going on since 2008 and most likely originates out of Kolkata (Calcutta) India. Their purpose, of course, is to gain access to your computer and steal information.

I've taken it upon myself to learn a choice phrase or two in Bengali which I will use next time before exiting the conversation.

Respected Contributor

There have been other threads on this same subject. Everyone seems to have come up with their own ways of handling it. Personally, I love my Caller ID & never answer if I don't know who's calling.

Super Contributor

I don't read the Electronics forum often so I wasn't aware that this had already been covered.

Honored Contributor

Hi, LizAnne! Yes, it's been around a long time. Sometimes the Caller ID indicates it's Microsoft, or MSN, or even Apple. It's important for people to be aware these companies don't make calls to us, and it's really better with all calls to let them go to voicemail if we don't recognize the Caller ID or if it's a business that normally wouldn't be calling.

They use robocalling, so a computer merely scrolls through random phone numbers hoping for a "hit." Answering them tells them your number is a "live" number.

That results in your number going on a list and being re-used, shared, and sometimes even sold to other criminals. So, answering is a guarantee you'll get more calls in the future.

Kudos to you for a reminder to all about this particular scam and also a reminder to all to ignore, ignore, ignore calls from unknown or suspicious callers.

(edited for spelling error)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Hi Doo! Good advice as always. I do realize that I should ignore the next call but the urge to toy with a scam artist is overwhelming.

Respected Contributor

I have been getting the same calls. Nearly a dozen in the last two weeks. I screamed, yelled, told them I knew they were scammers, I'm on a national no call list and they just kept on calling. One day last week, he called again and told me he was calling from Windows Operating System and did I know my computer was infected with a serious virus. I counted to ten and told him I didn't know what he was talking about because I didn't own a computer. Five seconds later I heard the "click" and poof, he was gone. Haven't been bothered since. Fingers crossed.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor
On 10/10/2014 LizAnne said:

I don't read the Electronics forum often so I wasn't aware that this had already been covered.

I think they show up often in Viewpoints

Honored Contributor

Hi Doo! Good advice as always. I do realize that I should ignore the next call but the urge to toy with a scam artist is overwhelming.

I know, it's hard to resist messing with callers.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I'd rather not, because some security experts say staying on the line, and particularly making them angry, can make it even more likely they'll see to it we get more calls. But I do understand why some people are fed up with the nonsense and want to engage the callers.

Have a nice weekend, LizAnne.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

LOL! It's fun to mess with them, isn't it?{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Esteemed Contributor