Contributor
My edit button does not come up anymore. I just get a spinning wheel. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to fix it? I haven't updated to iOS 8 nor did I update iBooks to ios7 (although I did update iPad to iOS 7).
Honored Contributor

Hi, dbe! I believe the spinning wheel in iBooks means it's reindexing data. Have you looked at the amount of storage on your device? It might help you to free up some space, if you have anything you can delete from the iPad. You always can try a reboot, or hard reboot, first, but then if the problem persists I'd suggest you do a full backup of the device and then try removing some things that are taking up a lot of space.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor
Thanks. I'll try your suggestions.
Contributor
I deleted several things from iBooks and iPad and tried soft reboot. Still don't get the edit button (just spinning wheel). Checked my storage and that doesn't appear to be a problem. If I do a hard reset will it change all my settings and content?
Honored Contributor
On 10/12/2014 dbe said: I deleted several things from iBooks and iPad and tried soft reboot. Still don't get the edit button (just spinning wheel). Checked my storage and that doesn't appear to be a problem. If I do a hard reset will it change all my settings and content?

Hi, dbe! I'm sorry you're still having this problem. I can't duplicate it because I'm running iOS 8.0.2 on my iPad (3rd generation) and iPhone 5, and iBooks is working with no problems.

Doing a hard reset will not change settings or content, so you can safely do that any time you see glitches and want to try quick, easy troubleshooting. eta: Also, be sure to try closing all the apps running in background. (link with illustrations in case you're not familiar with the process: http://www.cultofmac.com/231322/how-to-close-apps-in-ios-7-gif/)

If that doesn't help, let us know. Without knowing more details, not sure what to suggest ... if the wheel is spinning while iBooks is trying to sync, you might try turning off syncing and switch WiFi off (or try Airplane Mode) just to see if it changes anything. Also, a good sync/backup to iTunes on your computer (or to iCloud, if that's how you normally do it) won't hurt and might fix some problems. It can free up more space, since it should remove stored diagnostics and usage data which really does pile up over time.

Just trying to think out loud, brainstorm possibilities. I do a full backup and then erase all content and settings on my devices occasionally, and do a complete restore, but I don't recommend that to anyone unless they're completely comfortable with the process. Perhaps someone else can duplicate the problem, or can offer better advice.

Let us know if it's still spinning away, okay? Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor
Tried all of the above suggestions (except the erase all content one since I'm not that comfortable with technology) and nothing has worked. Is it worth worrying about? I still haven't downloaded IOS 8.0.2 Is it safe to do that yet? Are all the bugs fixed?
Super Contributor
On 10/10/2014 dbe said: My edit button does not come up anymore. I just get a spinning wheel. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to fix it? I haven't updated to iOS 8 nor did I update iBooks to ios7 (although I did update iPad to iOS 7).

Is there a reason why you didn't update the iBooks app when you updated the iPad to iOS 7? That might be the problem.

Super Contributor
On 10/14/2014 dbe said: Tried all of the above suggestions (except the erase all content one since I'm not that comfortable with technology) and nothing has worked. Is it worth worrying about? I still haven't downloaded IOS 8.0.2 Is it safe to do that yet? Are all the bugs fixed?

Since you haven't already updated I would wait until iOS 8.1 comes out. We'll probably find out Thursday when it will be released.....Apple is holding an event to announce new hardware and software.

Contributor
On 10/14/2014 Cha1k said:
On 10/10/2014 dbe said: My edit button does not come up anymore. I just get a spinning wheel. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to fix it? I haven't updated to iOS 8 nor did I update iBooks to ios7 (although I did update iPad to iOS 7).

Is there a reason why you didn't update the iBooks app when you updated the iPad to iOS 7? That might be the problem.

Thanks Cha 1k. I have since updated iBooks. I just liked my brown wooden shelves but gave them up to see if that was the problem - it wasn't. I really appreciate you and dooBdoo taking the time to try and help. This forum is the first place I look for tips and troubleshooting with my iPad. All the information on here is wonderful and so helpful. Thank you to everyone who contributes.
Super Contributor

Ok....try deleting the iBooks app from your iPad. Go to the App Store and redownload it from your purchased history. If you have only books on the iBooks app they will be in your purchased history on the App Store.