Respected Contributor

Is there a program to help my slow iMac?

I've owned this computer since January 2013 and it has slowed down enough to be a problem. I get the spinning beach ball too often and with several different applications or tasks. I have plenty of RAM, 8 GBs, and an i5 processor. I've run several ClamXav scans and nothing is found.

My hard drive was 75% full so I deleted the music I had stored thinking it would help and it didn't. I also repaired permissions for the entire hard drive and iPhoto. I have backups on an external hard drive if I need to restore to the factory condition. I've seen programs like Mac Keeper which have mixed reviews. Does anyone have recommendations to fix this problem?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a program to help my slow iMac?

Hi, glb613! I know you usually search the web, but did you see this comprehensive article on the Apple community?

How to eliminate slow Mac problems (updated 10/4/2014)

link goes to: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6921

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Since you have back ups, I would do a re-install of the operating system. Here Is a link to directions -----Http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14243 ------ you'll erase the hard drive, and re-install the operating system. During the set up process, you can select to migrate from a back up. I usually skip that part during the start up (1) because you can click on migration assistant at any time to migrate your stuff back (2) I want to install the operating system clean and check how things are running before I bring things back. Once I am ready to bring things back, I use migration assistant to bring back documents and data only. Then I check to see how the system is running. If still running well, I go to App Store and click on purchased and bring back one app at a time. Checking system operation as I go. Doing it little by little as I suggest is how you will pinpoint what the problem is.
Valued Contributor

You might make a Genius Bar appointment. They can be a big help.
Contributor

I installed ccleaner on macbook air. What's an iMac?

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if you have done this, but I have with success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbg18do1Jvw

You could google this, cleaning of the library caches for sluggish MACs to get more info. I haven't done it since updating to Maverick.

Super Contributor

On 10/10/2014 bourgs4 said:

I installed ccleaner on macbook air. What's an iMac?

An iMac is a desktop Mac computer - not a laptop.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad I didn't buy Mac Keeper. I had read somewhere it wasn't a good program. dooBdoo, I will check the site and see if there is anything recommended I haven't already tried. Lynnj, if all else fails, I'll restore it back to factory condition.

Repairing permissions has helped but, it still isn't as fast to respond as it was when new.

Honored Contributor

Other things I was thinking about ... do you occasionally do a safe boot? That can clear caches, rebuild the disk directory, clean up odd glitches, etc., without doing them manually. After repairing disk permissions, run the Repair Disk utility too. Also, you've probably done these things but see what's in the Startup Items (might be launching something to run in background that you don't need) and peruse the Activity Monitor to see what's using the most resources. I agree, definitely avoid things like MacKeeper and MacDefender.

Hope you find the source of the problem, glb613.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I have been using MacKeeper for about 2 years. It does what it promises and is easy to use. It's gotten a bum rap by people claiming it is malware, it's not. It hasn't "taken over" my machine and works better and easier than the basic apple utilities that everybody told me was all I would ever need.

I LOVE my Mac and will never go back to being a PC person (at least I don't think so right now), but the system is not as easy to get around in the "guts" like a PC was.