Regular Contributor

Can't install Windows updates

When shutting down my pc, I get 'installing update 1 of 3' etc. It gets to #3 then shuts down.

When starting up again, it shows updates failed to install and 'reverting changes.'

This all started about 3 weeks ago...no problems installing updates before that.

I've tried Microsoft Fix-It and several other online suggestions from Microsoft but it didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Respected Contributor

Re: Can't install Windows updates

Get into the control panel and select Windows Updates. It should show the updates available for download. Write down the update number, it usually starts with a letter like K for each update available. Select one update at a time and see if it downloads and installs properly. If not, get into the control panel, programs and features, select Windows Update on the left side of the screen and see if the one not installing is listed. If so, uninstall it. Go back to Windows Updates and try it again.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply! I'll try your suggestions when I shut down later today and report back if it worked or not. I sure want these updates since some are critical.

Super Contributor

Which version of Windows do you have? If XP, you will need to download the updates yourself (search for them on Microsoft's site by KB number) and then run them one at a time. Windows XP auto updates failed on my mom's machine once Microsoft discontinued XP support, so I had to install any available remaining updates manually. Make sure to install each one in order by their release date.

If not XP, another point to consider besides GLB's good ideas is that many times, updates that are recommended or suggested are not truly valid for your system. Often, those updates will fail, and it is unwise to force them by manually running them. If the updates that are failing are not just recommended but are shown as critical or security updates, you can also just search for them on the MS site by KB number and download and apply manually.

Finally, sometimes program services, drivers or security suites can block even Windows updates installations. Getting around the issue is possible, but requires either advanced knowledge or the fearlessness to try some advanced techniques. Safe mode is often how to get around troublesome issues like yours. You can Google that, or try Eightforums.com (for Windows 8) or Sevenforums.com (for Windows 7) assistance, by searching those forums with your key words (unable, install, Windows, updates).

Good luck and have fun! I love fixing Windows problems, because I always learn something new.

Trusted Contributor

I forget exactly what happened to mine but I was on Windows 8.1 and tried to do a PC Refresh. If you look at that option it sounds very easy, like anyone can do it. But something happened and it really messed up everything. I couldn't use the PC at all. I got stuck in that loop with the three updates that would never finish. (Funny it's the same number of updates the OP said too.)

It took weeks between Geek Squad (Best Buy) having the thing two different times and me calling to talk and let the online guys remote into it. I never totally understood what the problem was. But after it was "mostly" fixed I found I couldn't turn off my touch pad which drives me nuts when I have to use my laptop keyboard. Finally one of the online guys found my Hotkeys dll file was missing. He reinstalled that from somewhere and it seemed to fix the last problem. It's been about a month now and I think it's working fine again.

The whole thing was a total nightmare so I understand what you mean. I'm a "techie" working in the software industry and I was totally confused by what happened to me. I hope you have something like Best Buy/Geek Squad to help you. Of course for all I know someone on their team made it worse Smiley Wink

I plan to buy a Mac next time. After years of this garbage I think I'm ready to pay more and hopefully have a better platform. And yes, I'll invest in Parallels so I can run Windows for the applications that require it.

Good luck!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

Have you tried going back to a "restore point" that was prior to this update? Also, are you settings where it "automatically updates" your systems? If so, that is the first thing you should change that to "ask before updating", or something similar to that phrase. That way you can look at the updates and install only the ones that are for your particular system.

I have a 64 bit system and some of the updates they have listed in the past for me were for a 32 bit system. I have my settings at "ask before updating" and I take the check marks out of all the updates that I do not want installed.

If you have a 64 bit and it is trying to install a 32 bit update? That equals problems especially if it for some reason completes and installs an update.

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I've got a Win 7, 64 bit PC, set to automatic updates. Everything was updating just fine till Sep 10 when for some reason the updates started failing.

I'm hoping to fix the problem myself without having to take it somewhere.

Thanks again, all you tech gurus!

Regular Contributor

Well, no luck. I got the K# list of updates that did not install (all are security updates for Win 7, 64 bit, nothing for 32 bit). I've also got the error code (80070570) which comes up on a MS website search and I've tried some of those suggestions which didn't work either.

When I click on one of these non-installed updates, nothing happens. I can't uninstall what never installed in the first place.

I guess I don't understand how to install an update with the K number. As suggested above by TOTB, do I find the update from the MS website and install from there?

I'm hesitant to shut off the automatic updates as this is the recommendation and I'm not savvy enough to decide on my own which updates I need or don't need.

I did get to the 'restore system to like new' point but it sounds too drastic a step at this point.

ThinkOutsideTheBox....my next step is to check out your suggestion Sevenforums.com.

I'm shutting down again. I'll check back tomorrow if anyone has any other ideas for me.

Once again, thanks to all for your help!!

Respected Contributor

You don't need to restore to new. I want you to update and run all of your security programs. If you don't have Malwarebytes, download the free version from Malwarebytes.org. Sometimes you will have updates fail if you have an infected computer.

You can manually install updates, all or one at a time, through the control panel. There is no need to turn off auto updates for this to work. Get into the control panel, Windows updates, select the one causing the problems and try to update and see what happens. Post back with what happens.

Regular Contributor

Sorry for the delay in reporting back.

I ran a full Norton scan (which I had not done; I'd just done quick scans) and installed Malwarebytes as glb suggested. It appears Norton had no problem installing the 3 updates I could not do myself. Everything seems to be running fine, well, for the time being anyway.

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.