Honored Contributor

Anyone buy a new portable GPS recently and have recommendations?

I've resisted buying one, thinking I'd probably get one in my next car, but that next car is maybe two years away and while my doctor tells me I see well enough to drive, I'd like to know where the turns are before I'm on top of the little signs!

Make me a safer driver and give me recs on a new GPS. TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone buy a new portable GPS recently and have recommendations?

Don't get a TomTom. I had one and it's really clumsy to use. The best standalone one, with voice recognition is still the Garmin Nuvi.

However, a good phone has GPS, so have you considered using your phone? There are apps for free for either an Android phone or an iPhone, and you can buy a stand to put it on your dashboard. I'd recommend voice recognition as you can't fool with these things when you drive.

Honored Contributor

My new car came with one and the Garmin I have which is less than a year old is much, much better than the one in the car.

So take a look at Garmin, you control it via voice command

I wouldn't use a Cell phone as a GPS they are too small to see

Honored Contributor

I'm with Jack on this one - the phone is too small for my eyes although I'm not sure even a portable gps screen is going to be a whole lot better.

I do need a new phone though, so I'll look at phones, too. My Android does have gps, but it's horridly difficult to see and doesn't speak to me. I need something that backs up the visual with voice.

Thanks, both, for your thinking.

Respected Contributor

If you use your phone as a GPS, make sure it's not using a lot of data. Not everyone has an unlimited data plan.

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased a Tom Tom several years ago with free lifetime map updates. I wouldn't be without a GPS now for the same reason you mentioned. I have trouble seeing road signs until I'm almost on top of them. We went to the East Coast last Spring and packed our Tom Tom. We got around the area perfectly. I find it to be very user friendly and I am so NOT technical. I called their customer assistance the first time I uploaded a new map and got through right away and got the help I needed.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

On 10/6/2014 glb613 said:

If you use your phone as a GPS, make sure it's not using a lot of data. Not everyone has an unlimited data plan.

Thanks - I know the gps on the phone I want to replace uses huge data for a very poor map. It was my first smartphone and I've learned quite a bit in thr several years I've had it. Will be sure to ask that data question as I shop for a new phone, but I'm thinking I need a separate gps. Time to shop!

Respected Contributor

On 10/6/2014 Campion said:

Don't get a TomTom. I had one and it's really clumsy to use. The best standalone one, with voice recognition is still the Garmin Nuvi.

However, a good phone has GPS, so have you considered using your phone? There are apps for free for either an Android phone or an iPhone, and you can buy a stand to put it on your dashboard. I'd recommend voice recognition as you can't fool with these things when you drive.

I totally agree with the bolded writing. I had a Garmin, then I bought a TomTom and hated it. I went back to Garmin.

Regular Contributor

My car has navigation, but the easiest and best GPS is my iPhone....Siri is amazing and a friend says her Samsung phone is great too.... Siri will talk you 'turn by turn' right to the destination, so IF you have a smart phone you may not need a GPS....you probably already have one!