Valued Contributor

Microsoft has announced WINDOWS 10

Just read that Microsoft will be releasing a new version of Windows- going directly to Windows 10 and supposedly it will be "friendly" to both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Don't know what happened to 9- So that might explain why the Q had a recent TSV that they touted as a Black Friday coup. Guess too many complaints about "8" --Maybe if everyone complains about Office 365- they'll find out we aren't going to be happy about paying for that every year!

I still haven't found a decently priced version of Office yet either. Smiley Sad did read that the downloaded (from a key) is available only to one item for it's "life" BUT if your lap or whatever you have it on "dies" I'd like to know if it can be transferred to the new purchase. Can't find any info on that. and now I wonder if I do find one- if it will work with Windows 10 as my laptop is getting old and not worth putting any more money into it. ( crossing my fingers)

Regular Contributor

Re: Microsoft has announced WINDOWS 10

Maybe they're trying to stay as far away from unpopular Windows 8 as possible! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Anyway, here's a link on "10":

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to use a MS Office Alternative program. http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-microsoft-office-alternatives/

Regular Contributor

According to the below blog, Office 2013 is transferable.

http://blogs.office.com/2013/03/06/office-2013-now-transferable/

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 dgluvr said:

Just read that Microsoft will be releasing a new version of Windows- going directly to Windows 10 and supposedly it will be "friendly" to both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Don't know what happened to 9- So that might explain why the Q had a recent TSV that they touted as a Black Friday coup. Guess too many complaints about "8" --Maybe if everyone complains about Office 365- they'll find out we aren't going to be happy about paying for that every year!

I still haven't found a decently priced version of Office yet either. Smiley Sad did read that the downloaded (from a key) is available only to one item for it's "life" BUT if your lap or whatever you have it on "dies" I'd like to know if it can be transferred to the new purchase. Can't find any info on that. and now I wonder if I do find one- if it will work with Windows 10 as my laptop is getting old and not worth putting any more money into it. ( crossing my fingers)

Microsoft Office has always had limits to the number of computers it can be installed. The exception is if you buy a multiple license version or corporate version. I bought Office XP and 2003 that were single user license. When I bought new computers, I was able to install both versions on the new computers without any problems. I did wipe the drive of the old computers so it had been uninstalled.

Any time you buy a program via download, you need to make a copy of the download file (if there is one) and save the product key number. This allows you to reinstall the program on the same computer or on a new one. I saved the download file on a CD or DVD and wrote the product key number on the disk. I also saved it on an external hard drive. If there isn't a saved file, you must save the product key number. To reinstall, download a trial version then make it a full version using the product key number.

Esteemed Contributor

Windows 10? I hope they get the bugs out by then. Windows 8 is a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

I just read this and printed it out. Thanks!

My one disappointment (so far) is they won't have a "desktop." I am not happy with that, but I guess we will see.

I still won't upgrade until they are no longer supporting Windows 7, I don't care how great they say it is.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link knmt!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Matty6 said:

Windows 10? I hope they get the bugs out by then. Windows 8 is a nightmare.

I tried to ""hang in"" for six months. Yesterday I was ready to throw this laptop out the window. I was done!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Microsoft has always had this problem of not doing what they do best and longing to be Apple. Microsoft has long been obsessed with being cool instead of just getting the job done--and that has always been their strength. It is like if I wanted to be tall so badly I'd go around in super high heels and keep falling off of them. . . Poor Microsoft. Life must be so stressful for them!

Honored Contributor

Wow, so soon! I guess they have to keep technology moving, but sometimes it just seems like they move in the wrong direction.

As for the Office 365 thing - I just uninstalled it on both of our Win8 computers and installed Office from a copy I have (office home & student, something or other). I don't know how many times it can be used, but I've installed it several times and so far, so good.

I really didn't love Win8, but it was so completely simple to change it around to make it easier and more familiar for me that it's a zero on the 'big deal' scale. I'm sure the next one will be fine, too.