Respected Contributor

New modem makes a difference

I received an e-mail from Comcast stating my modem was old and I may not be getting the speed I should. I went out and bought a new modem, registered it with Comcast and got it activated. It does make a significant difference with the download speed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New modem makes a difference

What brand did you buy? Enjoy your new speed.

Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 nutmeg3 said:

What brand did you buy? Enjoy your new speed.

I bought a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. I did a speed test and I'm getting 30 mbps download and 6 mbps upload.

Honored Contributor

That happened to me years ago with a Time Warner Roadrunner modem. I owned the router, but they owned the modem. I was having slowness and dropped connections. They came out and replaced the modem and I reconnected my router and things were much improved after that. It was nice of Comcast to notify you - I had to call in several complaints before Time Warner let me know that the modem they gave me had known issues and needed to be replaced.

And that's probably the last time anyone will ever say something nice about Comcast.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had any real problems with Comcast. The only choices for me are Comcast or UVerse and they both have their share of issues.

Respected Contributor

Bought a modem? Doesn't Comcast provide these to you?

Regular Contributor

Yes but it's better to buy your own and pay one price up front. Leasing a modem from Comcast is expensive. It's always better to buy your own.

Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 VolvoGirl said:

Yes but it's better to buy your own and pay one price up front. Leasing a modem from Comcast is expensive. It's always better to buy your own.

Thanks! I'll review my billing statement closer and see what they R charging. I hate Comcast. Pay $100/month, I do, and get basically very little. I could go on & on. My least favorite company.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/30/2014 Skylands said:

Thanks! I'll review my billing statement closer and see what they R charging. I hate Comcast. Pay $100/month, I do, and get basically very little. I could go on & on. My least favorite company.

You have to purchase a modem on an approved list based on your level of service. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ Please contact Comcast before you purchase a modem.

Respected Contributor

On 9/30/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 9/30/2014 Skylands said:

You have to purchase a modem on an approved list based on your level of service. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ Please contact Comcast before you purchase a modem.

Thanks you. No worries. I don't jump at anything to do with buying electronic equipment without a thorough investigation. Best Buy, etc., these R not stores I like to spend time in. That's why I use Comcast modem. Easier.