Honored Contributor

MSN Home Page on Apple --- Messed Up -- Can anyone help me?

I have a Mac which is pretty old -- like 6 years -- desk top --- and when I turned it on this morning, the MSN home page looks very strange. Topics from the page are just kind of listed in a row down the page. I have no clue how to fix it as I am basically computer illiterate! All I knew to do was sign off and on and this did no good. If anyone can give me any very easy directions that might help, I'd appreciate it!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: MSN Home Page on Apple --- Messed Up -- Can anyone help me?

MSN changed their Home page so it is not your computer. I liked the old set up better myself.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/30/2014 clhs68 said:

MSN changed their Home page so it is not your computer. I liked the old set up better myself.

Me, too. I don't care for this new one. 'Course, we love what we are used to, so this may just take a while.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I don't like the new design either. It used to be very easy to see news headlines at a glance. Now it seems like you have to click through a lot of sliders to see what's going on, and even then things are spread out all over different pages. E.g., US news, world news, and so on. The previous design was more concise.

Super Contributor

I'm with you AngelPuppy - when I log on I get the same thing. On top it tells me I have an outdated browser and should update it. But when I try to update it, it tells me I have the latest browser. Since my Outlook was on the MSN homepage, I can't get it from there. Have to go through a lot of steps to get my e-mail. (And like you, I am computer illerate.)

Honored Contributor

Yes, I knew that the MSN page was new, but mine is not looking the way it is supposed to. Mine and mp0324's are probably looking the same! When I looked at the page at work, it was different but it at least seemed to be in the condition it was supposed to be. It's so frustrating. I cannot get it straightened out and I guess it will have to stay the way it is. Phooey! Why can't anything ever be left lone??

Thanks for your replies!

P.S. Everyone just keeps making everything more complicated! Grrrrr!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'm on a Mac, and MSN looks okay to me. (OS X Mavericks: v. 10.9.5, Safari: v. 7.1, Firefox: v. 32.0.3, Chrome: v. 37.0.2062.124)

This sounds very much like a browser problem. The quickest and easiest troubleshooting with any website problems: try at least one other browser. Be sure you're using the current version, Adobe Flash Player is up-to-date, and you've deleted cookies, cache and website data.

If the message says to update the browser and you're unable to do to, it might be because older computers aren't always able to run to the newest version.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I agree, the new MSN page is awful! I don't care for all the extra clicks, either. Just a chance for them to place more ads in the future. They're going to drive people away.

Esteemed Contributor

MSN was my home page on Internet Explorer. I don't use it much anymore because for some reason, my computer won't allow me to upgrade to IE 8 or 9, and no one knows why. But it was still usable to some degree, and MSN was my home page. Now it shows :Topics from the page are just kind of listed in a row down the page. I have no clue how to fix it as I am basically computer illiterate!

I counted on that page for a variety of things, including if I wanted to get to yahoo mail once in a while.

Is this the way it's going to stay? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 kittymomNC said:

MSN was my home page on Internet Explorer. I don't use it much anymore because for some reason, my computer won't allow me to upgrade to IE 8 or 9, and no one knows why. But it was still usable to some degree, and MSN was my home page. Now it shows :Topics from the page are just kind of listed in a row down the page. I have no clue how to fix it as I am basically computer illiterate!

I counted on that page for a variety of things, including if I wanted to get to yahoo mail once in a while.

Is this the way it's going to stay? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Hey, there, kittymom! Maybe the version of operating system no longer is compatible with the newer versions of IE? That happens after a while. I still have an 11-year old Mac that I use for a few things, and I can't update the OSX or any of the browsers on that one because of its age. I know from a chat we had that you also have Chrome on your computer -- did you try that, to see if the MSN page looked better?

(And, btw, you're not computer illiterate.Wink We all have questions, lots of them. Thank goodness, there usually are others who have answers.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova