Honored Contributor

Do You Take Out Protection Plans For Your Electronics

I bought an iPad Air from Best Buy last November. I got the protection plan for a year. I just got mail from BB that my plan is expiring and if I want to renew it for $149.99. That's a lot of money and I think I'm not renewing it. I always take out plans for my electronics and never need to use them. I'm thinking I probably spent the same amount last year and $300 for a 2 year protection plan is too much.What does anyone else think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Take Out Protection Plans For Your Electronics

Some of them. I bought what my daughter says is "amazing" camera (I can't remember it). Everyone (her friends say it is amazing)....guess where I'm going here......Yepper.....she dropped it and the glass broke but it still takes amazing pictures.

I did buy the protection plan (as I always do on these electronics). Now I have to try to pry it away from her to send it back.

I totally believe in the protection plans but only the ones that cover everything (drops, water, etc).

Honored Contributor

That is an awfully lot. I do get extended warranties for all my electronics, from Square Trade. But you cannot get a plan that far down the road.

I have 3 or 4 year warranties on pretty much everything from TVs to cameras and camera equipment, to microwave ovens, computers - you name it. Pretty much everything except my Dysons and my Vitamix (because those come with long warranties). It's very affordable and Square Trade is an outstanding company. I've been using them for ten years.

Respected Contributor

FYI...............Consumer Report states that these extended warranties are a waste of $$$.

Honored Contributor

Never have purchased an extended warranty for anything. I agree with Consumer Reports it's a waste of money.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't get an extended warranty. Waste of $$$ as they have exclusions in the fine print on what they will and won't cover.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

FYI...............Consumer Report states that these extended warranties are a waste of $$$.

I have to agree....but I did buy Apple Care on my iPad 4. It was $ 99 for two years. Apple Care includes tech support.

Honored Contributor

It depends on how much you're paying and what you're getting. I had to send Square Trade a 2.5 year old laptop that seemed quite dead. I would either get my $650+ back (that I paid for the laptop) or I'd get it back fixed.

They overnighted me a box and all the packing for a laptop, as well as a shipping box and a FedEx label to ship it out.

I received the laptop back, within a week, fixed. That was over four years ago and that laptop is still good as new. It was more than worth the $60 I paid for the 3 year warranty at Square Trade.

I don't buy warranties from most manufacturers (I did get a 5year for one of my Sony TVs from the Sony company for $99, though) because they are just too expensive to make sense and generally have either deductibles and/or exclusions that make them unworthy.

Valued Contributor

Nope, never. That is way too much cha ching! I say they take people to the cleaners. But just an opinion!

Trusted Contributor

I got an extended warranty on my laptop from Best Buy. I can't remember how much it was. My plan was to get a new battery before the plan expired. The new battery would have cost more than the warranty. So it worked for me. I wouldn't do it on anything else.