Honored Contributor

Has anyone successfully downgraded to Windows 7 from Windows 8/8.1?

I have googled this and found many different suggestions, some of which require a Windows 7 installation CD, which I do not have.

AND there are warnings that the results are not 100% effective with all installed programs, some of which won't work with Windows 7. The one good thing I have found is that one can always upgrade back up to 8/8.1. I just don't know if I want to take this on.

Just wondering if anyone here has done it and is happy with the results. Thanks!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone successfully downgraded to Windows 7 from Windows 8/8.1?

Forget this question. I just talked to Premier Tech Support, and downgrading to Win 7 would nullify all the warranties on this computer. They do not recommend it, nor do they support it. If I tried it (and it is possible), I would have to purchase a Windows 7 installation CD and make a lot of changes to the Registry, and I am not up to that.

I may give this computer to one of my grandchildren after I look into buying a desktop computer with Windows 7 on it.

I really despise this half-breed OS (made originally for iPad-type products) so much that it has ruined my enjoyment of working with computers for the last 30+ years. Ugh!!

Sorry . . . rant over. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Oh our Win8.1 computers I just installed Classic Shell (classicshell.net) and changed the look, getting rid of that silly tile page and making it where I could find things again. Except that first screen before I log onto windows (it's just a big swirl of colors with the time and date on it), I don't even feel like I'm using Win8.

Aside from that ridiculous tile thing, I just mainly didn't like that it was such a pain to find anything. Then, you'd find yourself on some page and couldn't figure out how to get out of it. Now I have the start button/menu and all the categories where I'm used to finding them. No silly tiles either. Smiley Happy You still CAN access that page, but I have no interest in it.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Oh our Win8.1 computers I just installed Classic Shell (classicshell.net) and changed the look, getting rid of that silly tile page and making it where I could find things again. Except that first screen before I log onto windows (it's just a big swirl of colors with the time and date on it), I don't even feel like I'm using Win8.

Aside from that ridiculous tile thing, I just mainly didn't like that it was such a pain to find anything. Then, you'd find yourself on some page and couldn't figure out how to get out of it. Now I have the start button/menu and all the categories where I'm used to finding them. No silly tiles either. Smiley Happy You still CAN access that page, but I have no interest in it.

I was able to get my old Windows Desktop back with my shortcuts, and never use the tiles either. I just hate that so many programs, even printing, is so different. I feel lost when I'm even trying to download a photograph to my email!! It feels as though I have to do it differently each time. Those things were second nature to me before.

I am so sorry I purchased this computer (or any computer with this awful OS). It's not the computer's fault obviously. I wanted the system upgrades and didn't research enough into the Windows 8/8.1 "technology" which, had I done that, I would have waited until the next generation came along . . . God only knows what that will be. It's possible I may never be comfortable with any computer ever again.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

The main problem is finding drivers for the hardware installed. Since I don't know the specs of your computer, I can't say for sure if there are Windows 7 drivers for you to download. If having tech support is important to you and installing Windows 7 will void the warranty, don't do it.

Try installing the classic shell and see if it makes things better. One thing I learned early on, use the Windows key to get back to the desktop or tile page.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 glb613 said:

The main problem is finding drivers for the hardware installed. Since I don't know the specs of your computer, I can't say for sure if there are Windows 7 drivers for you to download. If having tech support is important to you and installing Windows 7 will void the warranty, don't do it.

Try installing the classic shell and see if it makes things better. One thing I learned early on, use the Windows key to get back to the desktop or tile page.

Yes, I learned that very early on also. I never use the tiles and think they are really stupid.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Ford1224 said:

I was able to get my old Windows Desktop back with my shortcuts, and never use the tiles either. I just hate that so many programs, even printing, is so different. I feel lost when I'm even trying to download a photograph to my email!! It feels as though I have to do it differently each time. Those things were second nature to me before.

I am so sorry I purchased this computer (or any computer with this awful OS). It's not the computer's fault obviously. I wanted the system upgrades and didn't research enough into the Windows 8/8.1 "technology" which, had I done that, I would have waited until the next generation came along . . . God only knows what that will be. It's possible I may never be comfortable with any computer ever again.

Well, at least things seem to work fine. It's just so different. I actually tried to get rid of ALL the tiles that I didn't want there and many of them could not be deleted or uninstalled. When I first pulled up the computer (for the very first time) it took a bit because it was installing all these 'apps'. How about letting US decide which apps we want. I didn't want 98% of that stuff.

I think one complaint I have is that with each newer technology there are more and more things that you cannot customize to YOUR use. If I pay for the computer I wouldn't mind being able to have most things the way I want them.

Almost every time I go to shut down the Win8.1 computer it says that some app is still going, etc, and it takes a few moments to shut down. The little icon always looks the same and you cannot even find out what 'app' is slowing things down. it just seems odd to me. But I'm doing fine, especially with changing things so that I can find everything and not see those tiles. I did get rid of a bunch of them, though. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I did the classic shell, also and it makes it much easier to use. But, how do you get rid of the "swipe" action on the screen?

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Marybella said:

I did the classic shell, also and it makes it much easier to use. But, how do you get rid of the "swipe" action on the screen?

Is that the stuff that comes up along the right side of the screen sometimes when you go to scroll on a page? I tried to figure out how to get rid of that for a while and finally, for what's left of my sanity, just let it go. It still irks me, though. I tend to work quickly and when I bring my cursor over to the right to scroll I end up having to bring it back away until that qrap goes away. Silly!

Valued Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Marybella said:

Is that the stuff that comes up along the right side of the screen sometimes when you go to scroll on a page? I tried to figure out how to get rid of that for a while and finally, for what's left of my sanity, just let it go. It still irks me, though. I tend to work quickly and when I bring my cursor over to the right to scroll I end up having to bring it back away until that qrap goes away. Silly!

Yes, when I use the touch-pad to move my cursor from right to left, that stuff pops up and I have to click an extra time to get rid of it. Annoying!